How to properly clean up the crawl space (2023 Update)

My crawl space is roughly 20ft x 10ft. The floor of the crawlspace is dirt. Not very mainly pipes and wires in there. There is a pillar in the middle, towards the front. I did a quick clean up for the time being. I got most of the dirt leveled, I put down a plastic sheet and used heavy duty tape to tape it down. I want to be able to use this space for storage. So my question is, what is the best to way to about that? My basement (which is all unfinished) has somewhat high humidity so I want to help with that situation as well. It doesn't have to look perfect and I would prefer to go with options that could save me money but is still decent quality. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Tayrgood4991

Cleaning a crawl space can be a difficult and dirty job, but it's important to do periodically to prevent mold, mildew, and pest infestations. Here are the general steps for cleaning a crawl space:

Remove debris: Clear out any debris, such as leaves, twigs, and trash that have accumulated in the crawl space.

Remove pests: Inspect the crawl space for pests such as rodents or insects and take steps to remove them.

Install a vapor barrier: Cover the dirt floor with a heavy-duty plastic vapor barrier to reduce moisture and the risk of mold.

Add insulation: Insulate the crawl space walls and any exposed pipes or ducts to improve energy efficiency and reduce the risk of freezing.

Clean the space: Use a dry or wet vacuum to remove any remaining dirt and dust.

Fix any water issues: check if there is any moisture issue like water leakage, if yes then seal the areas that are causing water to enter the crawl space.

Ventilate the space: install vents to allow fresh air to circulate, which will help prevent mold and mildew.

Please be sure to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves, a mask, and goggles, when cleaning a crawl space to protect yourself from dust and debris.

It's always advisable to hire professionals to take care of this task as they have proper equipment and training to handle it safely and efficiently.

Reply to
HOH_Advisor