Woodworking Meets Drug Design

Stumbled on this web page. Pretty cool stuff.
http://www.tamu.edu/biograph/MOS/aspirin.htm
Mmmmm, walnut.....but I still don't understand how aspirin works.... Tom
Aspirin inhibits the cyclooxengenase enzymes Cox-1 and Cox-2 which prevent the formation of inflammatory prostaglandins.
Aspirin binds to the active site of the enzyme, and irreversibly inhibits it, rendering it useless.
The models, made from wood depict the enzymes active site in 3-D. I have never seen anyone make a 3-D model of a protein/enzyme active site from wood. Very strange...

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 04:42:50 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,

(your topposting corrected, turkey.)

Did you know that aspirin is also a great birth control device?
Usage: The woman holds one firmly between her knees.
-------------------------------------------------------- Murphy was an Optimist ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Chicken! Tom
Your bottom posting corrected bovine!

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 15:53:48 GMT, stoutman <> wrote:

<plonk>
Your plonking me when he called me a turkey.
Plonk away.

Stoutman, I believe Larry was calling me the "turkey". Didn't hurt none. Tom
Or maybe not... Tom
Yeah,
I think it was a "turkey" call in my general direction. I'm a little confused by the comment. I wasn't offended, just confused...and I get Plonked???.....which leads to even more confusion...
-Turkey

I think it's some deeply-seated netiquette thing. And I'm sorry I called you a chicken, Larry. I was confused as to who you were referring. Top or bottom. Now, Stoutman, you say you're sorry, too, and maybe Dave'll unplonk you! Top or bottom, really! Off topic. Tom

I will say I'm sorry to Larry for the bovine comment, but Dave has gotta unplonk me first. :( Otherwise he is gonna have to spend the rest of the day in "time out".
After all, I'm not sure the bovine comment was even worthy of a PLONK? Was it really PLONKable?

actually, getting plonked by dave hinz is kind of an honor.
I would think it would be very easy to make from a computer model and 3D laser cutter.
stoutman wrote:

stoutman wrote:

How does that reduce fever?
--

FF

Prostaglandins also induce (in a dose dependent manner) fever by acting in the CNS.
-

Would have been much more appropriate to make it in willow wood. http://www.google.com/search?q=willow+tree+aspirin
--
be safe.
flip

Friend of mine from Texas - C 130 Navigator - went to A&M in the industrial arts program. Wonder if the model makers came from IA or the Pharmacy/Physiology side?