Wooden drawerslide questions-s-s-s

Instead of using ready-made, store-bought drawerslides, I want to use single wood strips attached to the sides of drawers and have them slide between double wood strips attached to the insides of a carcass.
1. Will this work or will it bind constantly? (Will I be swearing every time I have to open the drawer?)
2. Are there any bits of sage advice I should know about gaps I should leave, etc.?
3. Should I use a specific kind of wood that would be best for the strips for sliding ability or for strength? (The drawer will be fir plywood inside a Baltic Birch carcass.)
4. Should I use any kind of lubricant? (I think I still have lots of something called K-Y, but for the life of me, I can't remember why.)
5. Will the strips be strong enough with glue and held with the Nahm-style-brads-method until they're dry? Or will they need to be screwed? (With or without the K-Y? Is there another way to use up this stuff?)
Gerry
G.E.R.R.Y. wrote:

well to prevent tipping.
I use parafin to lubricate drawer runners with good success.
Brad

If the strip on the drawer is already sliding between the two on the inside of the carcass, then the drawer can't tip, can it?
Gerry
G.E.R.R.Y. wrote:

fronts and had wooden rails extending back from the fronts but the drawer sides were not as tall as the openings so the draw would tip until the top of the sides hit the bottom of the rails above. The top drawer was the worst since there were no rails for a drawer above it so it would hit the bottom of the countertop and was hanging at about a 30 degree angle. I have seen a lot of furniture with wooden rails old and new made to fit certain styles where that was common.
"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote:

strip is needed. BTW, your strips should be at least 1/2" in width and 3/4" for heavy drawers. A 1/8" gap or each side of the drawe should be sufficient.
Note that this is just one way of building sliding drawers, but most others require a dado or a router.
Gerry,
As someone already said, there are a number of ways to make sliding drawers. Here's a link that will give you an idea of how one quality manufacture near me makes theirs. Take the factory tour, read and look at the pics - worth a few moments of your time and it may influence your decision.
http://www.stickley.com/tour/index.html
Bob S.

"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote in message

There are many other ways to skin that cat also. Scroll on down to the last two items for a couple of other ideas used in traditional furniture.
http://65.201.81.222/Projects3.htm .
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

As usual, you guys told me everything I needed to know.
If you're old enough to remember The Honeymooners, you'll know that Ralphie boy's "Baby, you're the greatest!" meant you guys.
Gerry

No, we're all too young. Now, anybody seen Alice?

"Alice doesn't live here any more."
Oops. thats a different reference. :)

"Remember Alice? It's a song about Alice"

Ah well.