wood theme

I don't know if this ever was discussed about before. I just like to see if it's possible to create a "wood theme" list or it's reputation. This is generally for fun, maybe educational too? Let me start a little...

When we say/hear "pine", we think "shelf" or "is it finished?" "red oak" = furniture, barely "cabinets" even it's widely used that way "black walnut" = "wow", "end/coffee table" "basswood" = fireplace mantel/shelf "maple" = ?? I don't hear good things (from other people) about "maple"

We can even expand it's topics with it's kind, like: "4x4" = deck posts "2x4" = rough carpetry "quartersawn" = neat "burls" = "are you OK?" (been sick?)

Mainly, I am interested in wood theme itself. Following is a start list (of course, add as you wish, like Mahogany, Butterwood, Birdseye, etc):

Ash Basswood Birch Cedar Cherry Maple (hard) Hickory Pine Poplar Oak (red) Oak (white) Walnut

Reply to
CNT

??? Why not try the 420 newsgroup, you might actually make sense over there.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Or, we could eat some hay and make things out of clay. What do you say?

Reply to
B a r r y

This isn't about "my car eat Fords and sh** Mopars"

Reply to
CNT

Ash = old Basswood = fireplace mantel/shelf Birch = clean cabinets Cedar = ceiling, smells good Cherry = "where did you get that?" Maple (hard) = "from your backyard?" Hickory = strong/tough wood Pine = shelf/shelves Poplar = popular wood Oak (red) = furniture Oak (white) = "who made it?" Walnut (black) = "wow", end/coffee table

Reply to
CNT