What is it? Weekend Edition 5

Page 1 of 2
I don't know the answers for number 19 and 21:
18. Someone sent this in, I had a similar tool on the site a couple years ago, so you can test your memory with this one:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic18.jpg
19. The person who submitted the photo said "This came out of a boiler plant for a hospital I worked for back in 1988", I thought the patent would be easy to find but I didn't have any luck:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic19.jpg
20. Around 48" long:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic20b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic20c.jpg
21. This photo was sent from Italy, the item is 12-1/2" high:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic21.jpg
Rob
You got me. I looked at all the pictures, and nothing familiar to me.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Rob H. wrote:

20. No Idea, but it was fun to see those wooden cheese boxes on the table.
Thanks for the mammaries,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Sonny wrote:

Nope , it's a ground probe . Used to find soft areas (among other uses) to locate a leaky water pipe . I had never seen one until just a couple of weeks ago , the guy I've been working with (rental mtce.) had one in his truck , and I asked ...
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

Thanks! I think you're right, it might even be the actual patent, I've seen a number of tools with inaccurate patent dates, two of the three date numbers are the same so it could have been changed by a typo, bad memory, or other error.
Rob
On 9/25/10 10:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Fisher-Controls-International-LLC-Company-History.html
The Fisher Governor Company began with an invention in 1880. Its primary interest was to regulate pipe pressure by regulating pumps, regulating fuel, or relieving pressure. It also made devices to remove gases from liquids.
"J Burns" <> wrote in message

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Fisher-Controls-International-LLC-Company-History.html
That's quite the story about William Fisher! Thanks for posting the link, eih? phil

Is a "Tile Probe", used to probe the ground to look for stuff.
http://www.ams-samplers.com/itemgroup.cfm?CNumX

As Snag also mentioned, this is correct, the person selling it said that it was a probe for finding drainage tiles.
Jeff had mentioned the cheese boxes that could be seen in the same photo, here is a better shot of them:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic20d.jpg
Rob
On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 17:42:18 -0400, Rob H. wrote:

"Cheese Food?"
What does cheese eat, anyway? ;-P
Thanks, Rich
"Rob H." wrote:

------------------------------------- My Dad had a collection of those cheese boxes that he used in his shop to hold all sorts of small items.
My guess is that he acquired them in the '30s.
Lew
On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 18:05:47 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

They were readily available until the late forties.The one I have downstairs is the one my Grandfather used as a sewing kit when he came to live with us after Grandmother passed away in 1946. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:14:16 -0400, Rob H. wrote:

A conference table at a swap meet? ;-P
Cheers! Rich
18: I'm thinking this is for grease cups, a single stroke of the lever gives the cup one 'turn'
Is #18 for lapping valve seats ?
Jerry
Rob H. wrote the following:

#21 looks like it may be a basket to hold parts for dipping in a parts cleaner. I used a similar one back when I worked in a sewing machine company in the early 60s. The parts had to be cleaned of a preservative coating before machining. I do remember the cleaner was solvasol.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Rob H. wrote:

Small engine valve lapping tool and a rather spiffy one at that; the blade with the two prongs and the reciprocating action are a dead give-away.

Good answer, it is indeed a valve lapping tool.
Rob