What is it? CLX

Page 1 of 2
Just posted set 160:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
921 thinking loud ... the circular / ton shaped notch in the middle looks like a shortened axle. the fingers at the right side, ehm, like the counterpart of an gear. some tool to adjust / tighten something unknown?
922 to make marks in any surface. just simply to make some ornament?
923 no idea
924 flattenig tool for neckties?
925 hey, this man looks like "Kaiser Wilhem". early souvenir?
926 ... to make some early kind of corrugates fiberboard or some similar wrapping material?
greetings from germany (and afraid to have met all guesses beside) chris

in wikipedia (german): http://www.kleinurl.de/?02dq3lja in wikipedia (english): http://www.kleinurl.de/?nlprn0ea

It does look like Kaiser Wilhem, but that's not who it is. I'll give a hint, the person it's supposed to be was an admiral.
Rob

    Then perhaps a Bosun's whistle?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On 9 Mar 2007 03:44:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

a bosun never had a whistle. Bosuns always piped aboard with a 'Bosun's call' which bye the way makes a bloody ace whistle!
Stealth Pilot
Hi R.H.,

Admiral von Schneider? (no, not for real, just jokin, http://www.kleinurl.de/?axa87mgs ) I am afraid i dont know the american history good enough to answer this.
greetings from germany chris

926 Press for making wax foundation for bee hives.

921: A chain sprocket tightener.
922: Hmmm, a hammer that won't roll off the table? For some strange reason, I think this is a cobblers tool of some sort.
923: A mechanical 'nibbler'
924: Somehow, I don't think we'll ever know....
925: Either a child's cap toy, or something used on the railroad to alarm engineers that there are workers ahead :-)
926: Sugarcane press
--riverman

924. Could it a prop paddle? (The kind used by clowns to make it sound like a smack, but really it is just the two pieces of wood hitting.)

924 : This may be a version of the musical percussion instrument known as a slapstick. Produces the 'whip' sound that is part of the Christmas traditional music "Sleigh Ride' by Anderson. Last Christmas, the Boston Pop's version of that song was played about 150 times on the radio. two links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whip_(instrument) and http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/texts/Slapstick.html
Phil
922: Picture framer's/glazier's hammer. See <http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pQ854&cat=1,43293>

921... no idea.
922. A hammer to drive in glazier's points. 100% certainty
924. Wire stripper. 75% certainty
925. Foley tool.. makes the sound of a cracking whip. 100% certainty
926. A texturizer for papier-mach which is then dried. For packaging purposes.

921. Center section looks like a socket wrench (socket, not the ratchet) Brass color might be paint, but non-sparking tools made of beryllium copper or silicon bronze have the same color Perhaps a non-sparking bung wrench for opening drums of chemicals?

Well the thing everone is calling a slapstick looks like a lard press to me.

924 looks like a board for scaling or cleaning fish- clamp tail at hinged end?
-Carl

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.
921)    Hmm ... my first thought was that it was intended to turn some     sort of gear a short distance with the teeth.
    Then I noticed the square hole in the semi-gimbaled (single     axis) steel part, and the fact that the "teeth" were raised     above the surface (told mostly by the shadows, since the angle     is otherwise not right for the task), and what I think it is is     some kind of locking control lever where you push the handle     down then adjust whatever is driven by that square drive a bit,     and lift the handle again, so a pin is between two of the     "teeth" to keep it from slipping until the handle is again     pressed down.
    It looks like a bronze casting which has been cleaned up fairly     recently, which suggests that it may have been used in an     explosive gas atmosphere, because the bronze won't spark when it     hits something, unlike iron or steel.
922)    Sheet metal work hammer -- for making a bend sharper than it     would be with the typical round faced hammer? I'm not sure how     freely it needs to rotate for that -- nor how freely your     "freely" happens to be. I would expect some benefit from a     little friction to hold it where you set it.
923)    Interesting leverage system there -- especially with three     identical pockets for the handle to work in. (I wonder *how*     identical they happen to be?)
    The screw seems to serve as an adjustable stop. I would like to     see more detail (and other angles) of the projection below the     lower jaw, as I suspect that it has some significant function.
    At a guess, It looks as though it is intended to punch tongues     in thin metal -- perhaps for making something like the reeds for     cheap pitch pipes or something similar.
924)    Perhaps for smoothing out long paper held between the boards?
    I would like a view which showed how much clearance was at the     hinge end when it was closed.
925)    Do they serve as whistles? Either that, or to hang notes from.
926)    Perhaps a meat tenderizer? Most are just textured hammers, but     this might be more consistent in its results.
    Now off to see what others have guessed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

I don't own this tool so I can't take any more photos, if it was mine I'd be happy to take a few more shots of it. Same for number 924, I'll ask the owner how much clearance there is.

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 04:13:43 -0500, "R.H."

Item 923 is a Saw Set. June 23 1885, Patent number 320,753.
If you want to view the patent you may have to visit the US Patent web site. Google only has the thumbnail available. See:
http://www.datamp.org/displayPatent.php?number20753
http://patimg2.uspto.gov/.piw?idkey=NONE&docid 20753
http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT320753
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Thanks Leon! The owner of it told me that it was a saw set but I didn't have any proof yet. I just updated the answer page with a link to google's patent site, the page worked fine for me, not sure why you would have gotten just thumbnails, when I clicked on the small pics they became full size.
Rob