Trembleur

Page 1 of 2
Help, sometime between 1984 and today I remember reading an article in a magazine or a book on making trembleurs complete with plans for string steady rests. However after going through all my magazines and books, I can't locate it. Google wasn't any help either. Does anybody here remember it, and where it was. It is not the one in Vol. 17 no. 4 of American Woodturner.
TIA
Dan
On 11/18/2015 4:25 PM, Dan Kozar wrote:

used duckduckgo and was able to find some videos that show the turnin process. easy enough to figure it out from the view of the steady rests. They did not look special. Simple and well done. - Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I have seen several videos, but the article is haunting me. I know that I have it, but I don't know where it is.

Mike and others,
I should have said that I am aware of the stuff on the internet. But that I am looking for the EXACT article. It's like misplacing a tool, you know you have it, but you can't find it. That is what I meant when I said that google wasn't any help. Thanks for all the good suggestions.
:

That happens to me a lot. As a consequence, there's a lot of things, like tin snips, that I have 2 of, neither of which I can find when I want them.
John
On 11/19/2015 9:27 AM, John McCoy wrote:

That is because you don't have 4 tin snips.
I keep 6 tape measures and oddly all of them measure the same.
Anyway I often can't find one and just as often find all 6 in one place. ;~)
On 11/19/2015 11:34 AM, Leon wrote:

You need to turn on your air conditioning, and put on your shop apron. Put pencil, tape, goggles, square calculator, and notepad in apron, spend your time looking for misplaced tin snips, drivers and other miscellaneous things that immediately get lost when set down "somewhere". This will serve you well, particularly as you age.
--
Jack
On 11/28/2015 8:49 AM, Jack wrote:

;~) Can't remember where I laid my apron.

You left it in the kitchen. <rdh>
On 11/28/2015 10:05 AM, krw wrote:

LOL, You don't know how ridiculous that sounds, uh Swingma?
Good come back Jack. :~)
Now to remember where the shop is!
On 11/28/2015 6:14 PM, Leon wrote:

Jack wrote:

This is VERY irritating, no? ; ) I occasionally call in my wife to help me locate items that are "lost, but in plain sight". She has a batting average of about 75%! I guess it's to her advantage that she doesn't have preconceived notions about where anything "ought" to be.

I have a theory that scientists have discovered invisibility fields but haven't figured out how to aim them. Want to aim a light? Bounce it off something reflective... but how do you bounce a light off that's invisible? (That's assuming invisibility fields act like light.)
So, the long story is, when you're looking right at something and can't find it there may be an invisibility field in operation.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 16:29:18 -0500, Bill wrote:

I'll be sending you a bill for royalties - I patented that technique many years ago :-).
On 11/28/2015 3:29 PM, Bill wrote:

Exactly. I know where it should be and if it is not there it is lost.
On 11/28/2015 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:

Yes, and it is also unsafe to move items to a new place it "should" be. I have 225 drawers 55 full size drawers, 170 small parts drawers, and 17 cabinet doors to hide stuff that I have accumulated over 40 years, that is not hanging on peg board. A While back I moved 2 planes that I seldom use to a different drawer, and it took me a week to re-locate them. They were where they should be, just not where they had been for 40 years...
--
Jack
A place for everything and everything in it's place.
On 11/30/2015 11:05 AM, Jack wrote:

Wow that is a lot of drawers!
I have 51 not counting those little plastic screw and nut assortment bins.
I do have have 24 steel drawer small parts bins included in the 51 above which will hold about 2000 screws each.
The balance range from just under full size to over full size. Oh I did not count the red upper and lower tool chest, that probably has 20 or so drawers.
Mine are in 6 locations so there is some difference which makes identification of what goes where a bit easier.
On 11/30/2015 12:17 PM, Leon wrote:

I have 55 drawers, only 4 more than you, not counting the 170 small parts drawers. The 225 number includes the 170 small parts drawers. I have one more case to build that will have 4 or 5 drawers, or possibly 2 drawers and a 2 door cabinet. I really have enough drawers, something I never thought I'd say, considering all the stuff I have accumulated. I could use some more wall space though...

So you have more drawers than me, if you count the 24 steel parts bins:-)

I've learned over the years to have a spot for everything, and pretty much keep it in it's spot. Makes cleaning up easier, and when the wife or kids "borrow" something, I spot it immediately. If what they need is in a drawer, they generally have to ask me or search for hours to find it.
--
Jack
On 12/1/2015 7:53 AM, Jack wrote:

No, they are a part of the 51. ;~) You win. LOL

Absolutely, the shop can be an utter disaster area and 15 minutes later neat and organized with my wife's vehicle in the garage.
On 12/1/2015 9:27 AM, Leon wrote:

I only have a 2 1/2 car garage, so there is no room for the wife's vehicle. Also, since my garage is heated, and I live in snowy Pgh Pa, where winter roads are paved in salt, I let her know that her car would rust away to nothing if you melt the frozen salt solution stuck all over the car. Frozen salt water=safe, melted frozen salt water=rust:-)
--
Jack