Tool Thieves

Unfortunately, it *does*. There's a _whole_bunch_ of 'case law' that says the police do *not* 'have to act'. And that you have no claim against them because they failto act in a given situation. Some of the incidents have involved _deaths_, not just property losses. No liability for "failing to act".

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:09:34 GMT, the inscrutable B a r r y spake:

And if on stakeout, didn't they have a camera handy which could have been used to catch the perps' faces and document the theft for a sure conviction? I understand the need for concealment during undercover work, but I hope the Chief told their unit to make a change which would allow them to continue to do police work while sitting around waiting for their particular bait to work. Multitasking, wot?

-- "Menja bé, caga fort!"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I agree that the builders take greater losses than the contractors. We have the same problems here with lumber walking off and dumpsters being filled by the neighbors. We recently had a guy unloading a pickup full of limbs in a builders dumpster when he could have driven about 4 blocks and dropped it off at county site for free.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

Just went at 6:30 AM to unlock the doors so the sheetrockers could get in and guess what! ... the $%^&^$b dumpster is _full_ of tree trimmings! One reason why I never applied for a concealed weapons permit, a strong conviction that any thief ought to die on the spot, including those who steal services.

Reply to
Swingman

You guys should investigate the concept of padlocks. Just about every dumpster I have ever seen has the ability to lock the top at night as long as someone will be there before the garbage man. The school district I work for had serious problems with unauthorized use of its dumpsters (and we have about 30 of them). We purchased a large set of Master locks all keyed the same and installed them on all of the dumpsters. The garbage company was then given a supply of keys for the drivers as they often show up before the first custodians at many buildings. First custodian in unlocks them the last going home locks them back up. Our annual costs were decreased by over $15,000 by this simple act and it stopped the "neighbors" from tossing non-recycleables into the recycle bins (you really don't want to have to interact with the custodian after he has had to dig someone else's garbage out of his recycle bin due both to the potential smell as well as a less than happy attitude).

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

A 16 yard construction "dumpster" (AKA "skid" in some areas) does not have a lid ... if it did, you probably couldn't open it without a forklift!

Reply to
Swingman

LOL Nothing you couldn't handle with a pocket knife. Let's see, wax ligustrum "burl" ... hmmmm.

Reply to
Swingman

FWIW, there was one construction site I used to drive past where there was a large crane on site. Last thing that happened every day was that a large compressor got hoisted about 40 feet and left hanging.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The dumpsters we are talking about are 5 or 6 feet tall and about 30' long. No lids though.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

When life hands you lemons... ? LOL!

Gotta love and appreciate the warped humor here: especially the punishments to fit the crime of tool theft. I can think of a few fitting, er, ah, demonstrative punishments involving spade bits and a decent electric drill or a roofing nailer, a length of 2 by and the admonition "that'll keep your hands from where they don't belong!"

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Dave in Fairfax said the following:

Unquesti> When life hands you lemons... ? LOL!

Ya gotta know that turners have a thing for burls. %-) Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

There was a horror film in the 80's where the baddie used a very long auger bit to drill through an apartment ceiling into the victim in the apartment above. I want to say _Body Double_, but could be wrong.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

A truck scale business man was checking out our scales. He said his father many years ago was a deputy sheriff. He got a call to go to this dental office. this dentist had given this lady something to knock her out and when she woke up he was having his way with her. She goes home and tells her husband. The husband took a claw hammer and knocked out the dentist and nailed his nut sack to the hard wood floor. This is the way the sheriff found him. Truth or not I don't know but this is what I was told.

Virgle

Reply to
Virgle Griffith

Sounds unlikely. Most of the folks I know would have nailed his weenie and both nuts to the floor. And left him the hammer standing up like a flag in a suitable receptacle.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I believe you're correct. Recall the scene but can't be certain of the title.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Most of the guys around my parts have gone to smaller units (maybe 8 yards?), with large, plastic, lockable lids. They need to be emptied more, but they aren't filled up with sqatter trash, so the overall cost is lower.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Hell, the workers (at least the ones relegated to throwing away the offcuts/refuse) on most of the crews these days, and the "squatters", are of the caliber that they are just as likely to throw the trash on top of the lid as under it, as long as they don't have to pay dump fees.

Besides, It's hard to find anything smaller than a 12 yard around here. You generally take what you can get when they're switched out, and most companies only mess with 12 and 16 yard skids.

I generally go to a zoning mandated trash enclosure made with OSB after sheetrocking (+/- 9 yards) ... but it sill costs around $150 to have the contents hauled off, whereas a 16 yard skid is $225 +/-.

Being a one man operation, I am the one getting fined. As a consequence, I am intimately familiar with the contents of the dumpster because I 'walk and chunk' every evening. I also keep two brooms, a water hose, and a shovel in the back of my truck for my other job: 'street cleaner'. I live in the same neighborhood where the latest one is going up and these are my neighbors who have to live with the results if I didn't, so putting that much effort into cleanup and trying to maintain a safe construction site, you get doubly pissed when unthinking idiots steal the fruits of your labor.

I'm partial to the idea of all thieves losing a hand for each offense ... would cut back on theft real quick. AAMOF, I would volunteer in a heartbeat to wield the axe.

Reply to
Swingman

So true. I hadn't given proper consideration to that. I am used to the regular trash dumpsters. Oh well.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Yeah, that was Body Double. Although I'd say it was more of a "thriller" than a horror film, re: the genre.

Reply to
Jedd Haas