There Is A Tree I'd Like To Be

There is a tree I'd like to be And so I have thought hard To have my ashes strewn about The oak tree in my yard

I know the walnut's nobler But I've not one you see The cherry is more beautiful But that would not be me

I thought of apple sweetly scented In an orchard quite contented Thought on maple hard and strong That helps to make the fiddle's song

I briefly looked at dogwood too The poplar, butternut and yew But none of these would really do And so I'll be an oak

'Tis true oak's not my favorite wood I would be walnut if I could What wood would you be if you could I guess you think I joke

But for this oak I have a plan When my poor body's lived its span And my remains enrich its soil Once I've left this mortal coil

I'll be absorbed and taken high Become the oak and touch the sky With branches that will overspread Those left behind when I am dead

In my strength and height I'll mind The generations left behind I hope the young ones will be kind To me when I'm a tree

And maybe hang from me a swing And underneath my bright leaves sing Drape ribbons on me in the spring Beneath me whisper love's sweet things

An oak's a very long-lived tree But I know time will come to be When boughs will break and branches fall And father time will come to call

And when my second life is done I hope for a son of a son of a son Who'll cut me down while being tender And into planks my soul will render

And take those boards into his shop To make something of Great Grand Pop And touch me with his sweet sharp plane That Great Grand Pop might live again

There is a tree I'd like to be A tree of immortality To touch loved ones I'll never see

And be touched by them

In Eternity

Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet)

Tom Watson

Thanks Tom...you definitely have a talent for putting things back into perspective (in a good way). I always enjoy reading your posts.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Walters

"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."

Reply to
Swingman

Oak's not a joke And pine would be fine Jummy? Yeah, funny... But ash of green's where I've been

First to fall in the fall and last in, in the spring, but I'll tell you, in truth it's the tree of my youth.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Amen. M--

Reply to
Michael Baglio

Dammit Tom(sniffle)!

Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

I had this exact same reaction. Tom, you have done it again.

SteveP

Reply to
Steven P