There Is A Tree I'd Like To Be

There is a tree I'd like to be And so I have thought hard To have my ashes strewn about The oak tree in my yard
I know the walnut's nobler But I've not one you see The cherry is more beautiful But that would not be me
I thought of apple sweetly scented In an orchard quite contented Thought on maple hard and strong That helps to make the fiddle's song
I briefly looked at dogwood too The poplar, butternut and yew But none of these would really do And so I'll be an oak
'Tis true oak's not my favorite wood I would be walnut if I could What wood would you be if you could I guess you think I joke
But for this oak I have a plan When my poor body's lived its span And my remains enrich its soil Once I've left this mortal coil
I'll be absorbed and taken high Become the oak and touch the sky With branches that will overspread Those left behind when I am dead
In my strength and height I'll mind The generations left behind I hope the young ones will be kind To me when I'm a tree
And maybe hang from me a swing And underneath my bright leaves sing Drape ribbons on me in the spring Beneath me whisper love's sweet things
An oak's a very long-lived tree But I know time will come to be When boughs will break and branches fall And father time will come to call
And when my second life is done I hope for a son of a son of a son Who'll cut me down while being tender And into planks my soul will render
And take those boards into his shop To make something of Great Grand Pop And touch me with his sweet sharp plane That Great Grand Pop might live again
There is a tree I'd like to be A tree of immortality To touch loved ones I'll never see
And be touched by them
In Eternity
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet) http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
<snippage of well written verse>
Thanks Tom...you definitely have a talent for putting things back into perspective (in a good way). I always enjoy reading your posts.
Rob
"Tom Watson" wrote in message
<sacrilegious snip>

"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

Amen. M--
Dammit Tom(sniffle)!
Nahmie
I had this exact same reaction. Tom, you have done it again.
SteveP