Steel City Drum sander

Does anyone have one of these? What do you see as he pro's / cons of this machine?

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon

I was planning on buying a SC 16-32 when I found a good deal on a used Ryobi 16-32. It turns out that the SC is almost identical - I suspect that they bought the rights to manufacture the Ryobi. SC did make a few changes such as higher HP motor, a handier inboard paper clamp, and a bracket for the open end to stabilize it when sanding narrow things

I've used it enough to like it; however it definitely requires some practice. Works best if you don't take much off with each pass. I usually do 2 passes without changing height. Also, best to have a good dust collector to hook to it.

-G

"Jon" wrote in news:4643dbe6$0$19439$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Reply to
High Score

High Score wrote in news:Xns992DD0AC91A32max20@

66.250.146.128:

My understanding is that Steel City is buyer of contract manufactured designs, from various manufacturers. So their purchase/resale of a well- considered and experienced design from Ryobi would fit this scenario.

Their folks are reputed to have a bit of experience in the tools business, too.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I got a Performax 22/44 about 5 months ago and while shopping drum sanders I took a close look at the Steel City model that resembles the Performax. Steel City appears to be a decent product however this company is relatively new. SawStop and Rikon look like old timers by comparison. From what I have learned a lot of Delta people have ended up at Steel City and that is a plus. One of the main reasons that I did not go with Steel City at the time is because there was really no cost advantage over the Performax. At the time, I was comparing the 16/32's With no cost advantage at the time prudence dictated to go with the brand that has been building these machines for a much longer period of time.

Reply to
Leon

Now that you've got the shipping issues worked out, is your 22/44 as brainless to use as mine?

I can't believe the use I get out of it.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Performax sent me a new conveyor belt but the original one started tracking correctly before the new one arrived. It does however have a high spot that will rub the sand paper if it is adjusted low enough. No big deal. I do use it often and have used it on several of the past jobs that I have had.

Reply to
Leon