Silverware chest -- help needed

I know there are a lot of talented people in this newsgroup and hope that at least one can help me. I am about to start a silverware chest. Have worked out the design I want and located a source for treated felt but have no idea how to line it around the actual silverware holders. Has anyone made/lined one before? Thanks.

Reply to
Jack Casuso

I completed a silverware chest for my new daughter in law last winter. The felt is tucked down into each slot in the silver holder and then the faces are "pleated" into place. I fastened it all underneath the slotted holder with hot glue before mounting the holder in the chest. No cutting or slitting of the felt is done, just pleating the fabric on the sides to take up the excess.

Howard

Reply to
Howard

May want to try some flocking on areas that would be difficult to cover with felt. Something I've seen done but never had a need to try myself is to steam form the felt (as in hat making). I saw it being done while living in Montana at a gun shop - the gunsmith also made custom cases.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

You might look for the whatever they treat the felt with before trying a steam or boiling aproach; either will probably strip any existing treatment out.

I personally would start with wool, felt it to a copy of the piece and treat the felt before gluing it in place. You'll have to spend a bit more time but you'll get a seamless custom fit with no pleats, and you can always use the copy as a drawer insert for your every day flatware.

SWMBO is a spinner so we have a wide variety of rovings in a half dozen natural colors including plenty of white for dying and a true black alpaca that would work really well with silver.

Damn there's another project this group has given me.

Reply to
Archangel