Sharpening a scraping plane

I have a new Veritas scraper plane. The instructions on sharpening it differs slightly from other instructions I have seen. They recommend burnishing across the bevel and working down to a final 15 degrees from horizontal. The following article instructs pulling the edge from the opposite side (toward the bevel) first and then drawing it to the side opposite the bevel. What is the difference? Which is better?

Anderson

Reply to
Eric Anderson

Eric Anderson asks:

hope. Anyway, I know for a fact that Lee Valley put a ton of research effort into designing this plane. My guess is that Rob & people put a lot of research into the best way to sharpen the blade. Let's not forget, his father essentially "wrote the book" on sharpening.

Suggestion: try it their way and see what happens.

Charlie Self

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Not to second-guess the maker, but on my 112 I've always taken a few flat strokes on the flat side, just to smooth out the face a bit, and then rolled my burr from the bevel side. Scrapers seem to be a very individual thing; I'd say try both (probably more than once) and go with what works best for you.

Reply to
Jimlemon

I did it the Lee Valley way and I think it will work well, however, I think the hook is turned too far by putting too much pressure on the edge in creating the hook. Still experimenting. I don't see the reason in "work hardening" the edge by first turning it back over the bevel and then the other way.

Reply to
Eric Anderson