scraper plane help needed...

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Congrats. Those things are fun to use, no? If you find you rely on it a lot, you might even consider getting a Hock blade for it. Those things are 1/16" thick, IIRC, and really do seem to make a difference in performance.

Of course you're right. I was thinking in terms of planes and the combination of stresses that the frog and cap-iron screw bring into play.
But if Dave Hinz is reading this part of the thread, he might want to be sure to have the iron in place and everything set up as if he were going to take a shaving (with the iron retracted, of course), before lapping or checking the sole of a plane for flatness.
Chuck Vance

See, that's the thing. I'm not sure that milling the sole would get me anywhere, because all of the other stresses that distort the sole in normal use aren't going to be present. There's always glass and wet/dry sandpaper. That's what TV is for, right?
Dave

depends how out of flat the sole is. mine was WAAAAY out. I still lapped it to finish by hand anyway- the mill marks weren't smooth enough for me.
for that matter, you could set it up in the mill with frog in place. the frog screws are going to pull most of the "in situ" stresses on the body. you _could_ set it up with iron and all, but it'd get pretty awkward to get into the mill.