Saw Stop - Oregon

Page 2 of 4

IIRC, lawyers were at the heart of the decision to turn down the technology. Paraphrasing: "If you put this technology in some of your saws, then you are admitting that the rest are inherently dangerous." What frosted me was that the fine folks at SawStop tried to use the Consumer Product Safety folks to jam this down our throats.
Neither side was right; consumers get hosed; typical state of affairs.
As far as the "don't make shop too safe" part of this whole thread tree. How about this: make the kids who trigger the safety buy new cartridges and new blades. That is, make the mistake a pain in the wallet -- just like real life.
hex -30-

Now there's a worthwhile suggestion.
Max
On 3/15/2010 3:23 PM, Max wrote:

The trouble is it ends up a pain in Daddy's wallet because most kids don't have that much money that they've earned.

Nothing wrong with that. Daddy can then extract his pound...

....Assuming there is a Dad present, of course.

If there is no daddy, then it's pretty hard to be a pain to daddy's wallet, no?

IIRC, lawyers were at the heart of the decision to turn down the technology. Paraphrasing: "If you put this technology in some of your saws, then you are admitting that the rest are inherently dangerous." What frosted me was that the fine folks at SawStop tried to use the Consumer Product Safety folks to jam this down our throats.
Well actually had the CPS gone with the suggestion of the SawStop technology you would not have had anything jamed down your throat. You would still be able to use your current saw or or any saw manufactured before the requirement. Or you simply do not buy a saw. It is your choice. Now if they made you buy a more expensive saw with the technology wheter you wanted to buy a saw or not, that would be another matter.
Neither side was right; consumers get hosed; typical state of affairs.
Agreed but after the smoke cleared all was well except for those manufacturers that did not or buy the technology or develope their own way to prevents cuts. And no, Saw Stop does not have a patent on every way to prevent a cut, perhaps just in stopping the blade or dropping the blade. Nothing to stop a manufacturer to come up with a new way to cut a board that would be less dangerious, like say how the Fein Multimaster cuts wood.
As far as the "don't make shop too safe" part of this whole thread tree. How about this: make the kids who trigger the safety buy new cartridges and new blades. That is, make the mistake a pain in the wallet -- just like real life.
Actually that is a good idea with the prerequisite that the parents sign a consent form for the child to be in the class with the understanding of the dangers and expense of the engagement of a safety measure being used. The parents could in their more effective way explain to the child what it will cost him.

So you think it is better to have a finger or two cut off to keep the kids attention up?
wrote

*I* think it's better if the shop teacher does a better job of instruction and supervision. He said he would pay twice as much................. If it's the school's money?
Max
wrote

It never was "the school's money".

Ain't his either.

Zackly!
"LDosser" wrote:

Sorry, but as long as you are part of society, membership has a cost that is paid for by the individual.
A portion of what you pay becomes "the school's money" and is their income which allows them to function as specified by the board.
It never was an individual's money in the first place.
Lew
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:20:30 -0700, the infamous "Max"

What is a (known liberal) teacher supposed to say, Max?
And at double Gass' prices, that's 6x the going rate for a top-notch saw. After hearing Gass discuss it in that video for the Oregonian, I see that he couldn't care less about fingers. He's simply going after (a minimum of) half the difference between the cost of a saw and the cost of an amputation repair. It's all financial to him.
Typical speaking weasel crap. A pox on all their houses.
-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

No. But I went through two years of high school shop and one college cabinet course where safety was stressed on a continuous basis. I never knew of a student who had a serious problem, but I know problems do happen.
My first few encounters with a Unisaw scared the hell out of me, and I believe that was a very health emotion at that point of my life. But if the kid walks up to a machine that he/she knows cannot injure, how do they learn respect? Frankly, it is difficult enough to teach some of these kids respect anyway. Some of them will learn when the walk onto a job site with a conventional machine, then their boss will get his ass sued off because they did something stupid.
Even worse, they might not learn at all. The budget crunches are making it difficult enough to keep wood technology in the school's curriculums. Our school has had a wood-shop since the early 1950's. The lone remaining, ancient Unisaw is on its last legs (I swear it is the same one I used in the late 60's). The teacher went to the board with a proposal to buy a couple of new Grizzly's that would set them back about $2,300. Guess what? The school counselor advised her to hold off because, guess what?.... the court cases regarding Saw-Stop. She said if she has to cough up $6-7K, she is going to have to shut down the wood shop and go strictly to metal fab and welding. Then they will be open to litigation when some day-dreaming kid forgets to pull the hood down and injures his or her eyes.
I just think we should LEARN safety without the government standing over us. We are becoming so regulated, a damned pocket knife will cost $3000 one of these days.
RonB
wrote

[...]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The school mentioned in the article (Amity, OR) sure isn't going to come up with that kind of money either.

My Unisaw still scares me. I have a *very* healthy respect for that chunk of iron. So far it hasn't tried any nasties, like my RAS has.

That's going to be the result. No one will be able to afford the hobby.

And more shop classes shut down.

expensive safety equipment was introduced.

Apparently Not at Amity High School. And there are probably others.