Sanders - flatness of pad while orbiting?

Here is an interesting question - something to try an experiment with. Hold a palm sander upside down against a bright, uniform background and turn it on. (Careful!) Examine the edges of the pad. Does the pad move in a plane? That is, does the "blur" you see caused by the pad movement stay in a flat plane or is there some up-and-down component to it? I tried this with a cheap finishing sander and it seemed to be flat, but when I tried it with my new Bosch 1295 I could see that the pad did not stay absolutely flat. There was a noticeable up-and-down component to it.
Any comments or experiences?
-Ram.

No offense, please.
You need to start a challenging woodworking project.
I believe manufacturers found that without the up and down motion the tools were less satifactory when used as massagers :)
Matthew

On 22 Dec 2004 13:19:00 -0800, ramkumar snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Well, since the cheap finishing sander is, well, cheap, and a Bosch by name-definition is good, I don't think that you're likely to get an opinion that the former is working properly and the latter isn't :-)