Sanded through finish help

I'm finishing my coffee table and have been using a Sam Maloof finish which is Tung oil, Linseed oil and Varnish. I noticed some scratches after applying the first coat and sanded it with 300 grit paper and applied the second coat. It appears to be lighter on the places I sanded and wondered if I should sand it down and start over. I did sand through the finish on those spots.
I really like the Sam Maloof finish by the way.
)

Your first coat is 'really' thin. most of the varnish gets sucked into pores of the wood. I only lightly rub with 0000 steel wool after coat #1.
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Which is not at all a bad way to try to blend the existing contrast. Some 0000 and some Maloof applied gently in a circular pattern around the offending area (so as to blend), should help you get to an even-ness that you can work up from.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Simply apply another coat and see what the result is. Most likely it will all look pretty good after the 3 rd coat.