Sanded through finish help

I'm finishing my coffee table and have been using a Sam Maloof finish which is Tung oil, Linseed oil and Varnish. I noticed some scratches after applying the first coat and sanded it with 300 grit paper and applied the second coat. It appears to be lighter on the places I sanded and wondered if I should sand it down and start over. I did sand through the finish on those spots.

I really like the Sam Maloof finish by the way.

Reply to
Keith

Your first coat is 'really' thin. most of the varnish gets sucked into pores of the wood. I only lightly rub with 0000 steel wool after coat #1.

Reply to
stoutman

Your first coat is usually called your sealer coat.

Reply to
stoutman

Which is not at all a bad way to try to blend the existing contrast. Some

0000 and some Maloof applied gently in a circular pattern around the offending area (so as to blend), should help you get to an even-ness that you can work up from.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

Simply apply another coat and see what the result is. Most likely it will all look pretty good after the 3 rd coat.

Reply to
Leon