router table setback

How far back is customer for placing the router from the front edge of the router table top? I know it is an individual choice, but wanted to get the group's input and why they chose a certain setback.thank..
My router table is 24" deep and the router is set 8" from the front.
My rationale in building it this way was that most of the time 8" would be more than sufficient depth for what I'm working on. And on the rare occasions when it was not, I could move around to the back of the table where the 16" depth would be enough.
Experience has indicated that my thinking was right.
On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 00:43:35 GMT, "Chris Carruth"

For me it's as far back as possible and still be able to set up a fence behind the bit.
Having said that, my table is 24" deep and the bit is centered 8" off the back edge.
UA100
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome