router info

I'm looking to purchase a router.
I generally like good brand names, so I'm a bit drawn to PC. Any comments on 694VK or 893PK?
I haven't seen the 694VK around town, although I could order it for about C$320 - according to their web site, there aren't many 1-3/4 HP with variable speed. There seem to be plenty of variants of the 89X around for about C$380.
I think I'd like the variable speed & dual collet for doing larger hardwood cuts (raised panels). Not sure how attractive the plunge base is.
Had someone trying to sell me up on a Hitachi - 2-1/4HP, with most bells and whistles.
If anyone could tell me where to get a good price in Ottawa or Toronto, let me know.
Thanks,
Robert
Some selection criteria at the http://www.patwarner.com/selecting_router.html link.
Do a search on routers in this group - has been some discussion of problems with stalling on PC routers with the variable speed feature.
Hi Robert, If you plan on doing more that a couple of raised panels I think you will want more than 1 3/4 hp. No one router will do it all well. For a great lighter router I would suggest the DeWalt 621 from Rona or the Dewalt store during one of their sales. For a larger one I would get a Triton from Busy Bee. If you are like most people you will easily spend 3 or 4 hundred dollars on bits over the next few years, so spending 30 or 60$ on a better router now will seem like a good deal in a few years. Cheers, JG
Robert Johnson wrote:

The ultimate goal here is to have one router for every bit. By the time you achieve this lofty goal, you'll have bought enough different models to learn what you like.
I'm leaning toward Porter Cable. I still don't have any Bosch or Milwaukee. :-(
James
Take a look at the New Festool OF 1400 EQ, a bit salty, but the best router you'll ever handle, I have a furniture business, I have nine routers and it is the most balanced an easy to use of them all. If you knock the Festool, then you've never owned one.
Ken

Ken wrote:

Typical German stuff.
Same kind of quality as Fein.
A local hardware here in SoCal has started handling it.
Overnight delivery from the Festool warehouse in Nevada.
In the SFWIW category.
That hardware has been around a long time.
Home Depot opened up down the street, but they don't appear to be doing well.
Hardware is getting along just fine.
Lew