Refinishing a desk top question

I hope this is the right newsgroup. I stripped the finish off a desk top. Now I am left with sanding the stain off because some of the stain came off when I scraped the Poly Strippa off. I am using a Mouse Sander but it is very patchy and I'm wondering if I'm using the right tool. What size sandpaper should I use?
Lori

Lori-
This is a general woodworking group. you'll probably get some good information here, but there is a finishing forum here: http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/phpBB2/portal.php