Re: Want to surprise my husband with a belt sander, but WHICH ONE???

SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!! My husband mentioned in passing he would

> like to have a belt sander - I would like to surprise him with one for > his birthday, but have not a clue which brand to buy for him or what > features to look for.

Does he want a portable or stationary?

I have both. The portable I use for just about nothing. Last used to sharpen the lawnmower blade. It can be a danger in the wrong hands and can take away a lot of wood real fast, even when you don't want to. .

I also have a Rigid oscillating belt sander ($239 at Home Depot) and I use it on most every project. Allows me to gently smooth curves, do some fine work dimensionally to get a good fit, etc.

Nice that you'd buy him a tool though. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

I have a Makita #9404 - 4" x 24" Variable Speed Belt Sander that I really like. I couldn't understand why anyone would want one until I bought it. Now I find that I use it quite a bit. All of the brands you mentioned are acceptable. My ranking would be Makita, Milwaukee (second only because they don't have a variable speed sander), Bosch, Porter-Cable, Ryobi and Dewalt.

One thing to consider is which brand is most effectively supported and distributed in your area (and I don't mean Home Depot and the like because they don't stock parts and many supplies.) Look in your phone book and see which ones have service centers nearby. I'm not suggesting that any of these sanders will be hanger queens but it sure is nice to be able to get a small part when you need it.

Phil

Michelle > SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!! My husband mentioned in passing he would

Reply to
Phil

Worked at a number of shops over the years. Always used makita 3x24. I have found them to be bullet proof; I have enough confidence in them that when I started my own shop I didn't even consider anything else. But having said that I would say any of the industrial strength sanders will work for you i.e. milwaukee, porter cable, bosch, dewalt. Now! If you really want to surprise him... Buy yourself a niffty french maid outfit for you to wear when helping in the shop to belt sand.

Reply to
mat

Festool. They are the best bar none.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Byrne

Mornin' Michelle - Toss his birthday butt in the truck and head north on Gulf Freeway. Stay on it until you get to 610 and follow it around to 290. I believe the exit is Antoine and make the U-turn to Woodcrafters. Let him know he's got $XXX to spend and let him pick it out himself. It'll be great for the both of you, he gets his choice, and he'll probably even take you out for dinner as well! :-)

You sound like a great wife . . . he should appreciate you. Good job lady.

Jim in Houston

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

That is an enjoyable trip. I normally have a sandwich at the deli in the same shopping center along with an IBC root beer. However, if you want a store close to home, The Texas Tool Traders in League City is an alternate. Jim, did you ever get to see the 1894 Grand Opera House in Galveston with all it's pine paneling?

I didn't think so. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

building a casing for his father's remains???? Does his father know?

Reply to
Bri

I don't think it matters which one as long as you sneek up behind him and turn it on, that should surprise him . . . ;-)

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Sorry to hear of his "passing" :-)

Reply to
Bill Pounds

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:52:30 GMT, "Jim Mc Namara" pixelated:

...while the stuff in the truck gets stolen...

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Wondrous Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Michelle wrote: Group: rec.woodworking Date: Sun, Jul 13, 2003, 7:24pm (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com (Michelle=A0in=A0League=A0City) SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!! My husband mentioned in passing he would like to have a belt sander - I would like to surprise him with one for his birthday, but have not a clue which brand to buy for him or what features to look for. He has been woodworking for a couple of years now, starting slowly building a bookcase (his current project is building a casing for his father's remains). I don't suspect he'll be sanding any floors, but I would like to get him something he can keep for years! I've done some limited research and found a few brands, Porter Cable, Ryobi and Makita. Please help me out!!

****************************************************** Your husband is indeed blessed to have a wife who would buy him a belt sander. However, tools are personal things and it is very difficult to buy one for someone else. If you choose one, he will be obligated to use it even if it does not suit his needs or preference. Why not give him a gift certificate from a store that sells various makes and models? Then you can go with him when he selects the one he wants and share in his joy? Peace to you both ~ Sir Edgar =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8
Reply to
Sir Edgar

Hmmm... My wife always fawns all over my taste in clothes. The first couple years, I told her to lay away what she wanted, and I'd pay for it. Now I do the shopping myself, and she wears my stuff all the time, and brags "my husband picked this out for me."

Reply to
Silvan

Hi Michelle;

You have one lucky husband!

Not to throw a wrench into things here but are you sure he wants a hand held balt sander? You might want to zero in on what his desires are. If he has need for a stationary tool, the the portable tool might not do him any good.

I don't believe I just wrote that previous sentence. Free tools like free woman are a beuatiful thing. I'm sure he would be happy with what ever he got. As to the brands you listed, I would drop the Ryobi if he is into this activity to any extent. Add to the list Milwaukee.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
David A. Frantz