Re: Robin Hartl -(now little Giant)

snipped-for-privacy@cs.com writes:

I would also be interested. It was my intention to buy the LG when I was able, but a friend of my son brought his Gorilla to pick some fruit last summer. He said he really likes the Gorilla. It, of course, is not nearly as much cash gone bye-bye as the LG.
When purchasing something like this (once in a lifetime, hopefully), I want to go for quality even if the price is higher. However, if the quality is there for a more reasonable price, it's a re-think.
Are they both made in the U.S.?
Glenna

Little Giant is http://proladder.com/ladders /
Gorilla may not be as they tout facilities in China. Warehouse in MN. http://www.tricamindustries.com/organization.htm
I broke down and bought the Gorilla 21' version the other day so I could paint my living room (with 15' ceilings). I've been using it as an extension ladder and must say it's pretty stable. I'd have preferred an A-frame type ladder as they just seem to be more stable under me but this ladder is also going to be used to do some work at a cabin which has an 18' high ceiling. So far, it seems to be well built although when I went to pick it up, I did see one with some questionable looking welds. I really haven't put the thing through it's paces yet but so far, it's working as expected. I can't compare it to the LG. Cheers, cc
writes:

I bought a LG probably six years ago and used it extensively in building a new house. I haven't taken much time to look at the Gorilla ladder at HD, but then why would I since I already have a LG. I did get curious one day and glanced at them. They seem to have the same form and the latches at the joint look similar. However, the legs, rungs and welds on the Gorilla just didn't look as beefy or solid as the LG. With the LG I feel like it would hold everything I need it to. I couldn't feel that way about the Gorilla I saw. But then for the difference in price maybe that's all you need.
Glenna Rose wrote:

I purchased the LG 21" ladder a number of years ago and have absolutely NO regrets. This was before any of the knock-offs existed. I can say that it is very stable even when fully extended and carrying a full bundle of shingles (Probably pushing 350lbs load).
I feel that LG will be around for quite a while as they produce a quality product. If I ever have problems, I will be able to obtain service. I question that this will be the case w/ the Gorilla. Next year when they decide to get it made somewhere else, who knows...
The basic operation of the two seem to be similar but I don't know the load ratings on the Gorilla.
--Rick
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:43:34 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

These "Little Giant" ladders are 4 section folding types made out of aluminum, yes? I ask because I have a similar sort of ladder about 20 years old, or more, made out of steel. I remember the advertisements at the time showing two in the "scaffold" position with truck sitting on them. I forget the actual name, I would have to go look in my garage and even then it may not be on the ladder. Anyway, I just found the idea of LG knock-offs kind of funny since I have been viewing the LG as a knock-off of the ones like I own.

Mine has been working for a long time, and I'm pretty neglectful of thing like this. I can't imagine what one could do to hurt it without serious effort. Mine isn't a Gorilla or LG as far as I know though.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
No these are not the same sort of mechanisms at all. These have one pivot in the middle of the span and then "extension legs" on each end arranged so that the length can basically double from shortest to longest. I hvae used the ones like you mention (I call them Z fold ladders) and can say there is NO comparison as to functionality.
Amazon now sells the Little Giant ladders and has some decent photos of the various configurations. Take a look or google for it yourself.
--Rick
On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:34:11 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 22:59:08 GMT, Rick Schmalzried

Any experiences with the version CostCo has for $99?
That was tempting me today. Definitely a heavy gadget.
- -
DL
http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm
"Hopefully with the demon-spawn Whitsitt out of the picture our scouts and coaches will be able to do their jobs."
::::::::::::::::
Halter Sucks!
Glenna,
I have the Little Giant no-longer-in-production, Type II-23 . At the time I was shopping for a 12 foot A-frame and an extension ladder. At The Woodworking Show I watch the Little Giant demo and was immediately sold on it. Ordered and took delivery a few weeks later. This was in 1999.
Probably the only ladder I will ever need or own. Does everything as advertised, WELL!.
I have one work platform and the wall standoff. Probably going to order the leg leveler soon.
The ladder is very well constructed, solid and sturdy. The only issue is the weight. I can handle it easily, but my 5'0" wife has trouble carrying it up stairs.
I have looked at the knock-offs and there is no comparison. The Little Giant has superior construction. The company is located in Utah and I believe manufactures there as well.
Only one choice ladder for me -- Little Giant.
PS. At one time they also sold aluminum snow shoes....wonder what happend to those?
Andy NW NJ
hi
I weigh 365 pounds and use the LG for all my ladder needs its very stable even at 17ft up. it's well built a has been around for quite awhile(I can remember them being sold for more than 10 years). have looked a the nock off at HD it's too light duty for me.
Len
writes:

Thank you, Andy, and all others who responded with comments about the two ladders. Can't speak for others here, but I'm athinkin' my mind's decided. I've been thinking strongly about it since seeing it demonstrated at a home show four or five years ago. I have a 20-ft extension ladder that can be sold to help pay for it; wish I'd know about the LG when I bought that one which was replacing one that was stolen which replaced one that was damaged by a friend who borrowed it. Had as much into those three ladders as a LG would have cost then!
The orchard ladder bought last summer will stay as that is a unique application type thing. In fact, it was the orchard ladder we used to repair the rain gutter since we couldn't lean the extension ladder against what we were securing. That drove home even more the need for the type of thing the LG does. The women in my family are long-lived and generally healthy up until the last few years, so I probably have at least 30 more years so want the ladder to last as long. <g>
Thanks again.
Glenna
================= njtrout snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

If my memory is correct, my Little Giant is already over thirty years old. Love it. It supports my 300 pounds without a whimper. One of these days I need to take the update kit I've had for a 'more than a couple of years' and replace the old bar style hinge release with the round knob style now in production.
My neighbors love the Little Giant as much as I do.
Jack -- Learn from the mistakes of others. Trust me, you can't live long enough to make them all yourself. I've tried!!