Re: filtering aniline dye?

Tried my first water soluble dye (JE Moser brand from Woodworker's Supply.)

> Most instructions refer to a filtering step after the mixture has cooled. > As per one article I read, I made the mixture double strength and then > diluted before application. > > What should I use for a filter? > > I thought cheesecloth would be too coarse - since it's a water soluble dye. > So I tried a coffee filter, but it clogged about 1/2 way thru the batch. > (Albeit on the double strength batch.) Project turned out fine, so perhaps > the filtering is an unnecessary step?

A coffee filter should do the trick.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

I use the same paper cone filters with the mesh at the bottm that I use for Lacquer or anything else I'm putting in my gun. I get them in bulk when I buy Lacquer, etc from the Wood Finish Supply folks @

BTW, the owner guy there is one of the most knowledgeable people I've spoken with about finishing.

BW

Reply to
Bill Wallace

I've used cheesecloth with water-based aniline dye several times. It works great and I had no problems.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic