Re: An "appropriate" finish for a Stickley-style oak table.

On Thursday, August 15, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Todd Knoblock wrote:

Hi Todd, Thanks for all your research and for sharing. I'm going to follow your process on my Stickley coffee table.Planning on building another one for myself. Paul

<snip>

process on my Stickley coffee table.Planning on building another one for myself.

I agree with Paul, thanks for the detail!
As to fuming, I do that a lot with my White Oak pieces. You really don't get the correct (final) color until you top coat it, then you get the golden brown (I top coat the raw fumed wood with Danish Oil (ringing out the danishes for the oil can get tiring 8^)
I use hardware store ammonia (5-10%) with good results after 8-12 hours, but you are correct about the sap wood and you need to monitor every few hours in case of wood from different trees. Basically it comes down to experience. One of the redeeming qualities of fuming is the browning goes deep, no worries about leaving bare spots if you do a bit of finish sanding or accidentally rub through a sharp corner.
-BR