Rare earth magnets for holding stuff on table and band saw

hello,
I was wondering how effective are rare earth magnets to hold stuff on table saw such as feather boards and the like. and what size of magnets to use?
thanks, cyrille

They work well if attached properly. The trouble though is that they still slide along the surface quite easily.

I put some heavy duty double sided tape on the magnet and it doesn't slide. FWIW I scrounge old microwave ovens and get out the two donut magnets that are in the magnetron unit.. these magnets have uses all over the shop.
larry
--
Columbia, MO
www.llhote.com

You can also get super magnets out of old hard disk drives. (You can get them out of new hard disk drives, too, but there are better sources than that.)
- Owen -

I have one of those magnets... I think rare earth magnets may be 10 time stronger.
"Leon" wrote in message

I tend to agree ... especially every time one of those em's jumps off my Kreg drawer slide jig onto any nearby tool.
-- www.e-woodshop.net Last update: 8/29/05
I use them a lot, the biggest I can get from Lee Valley with the non-skid pads. Although I built a featherboard and used 6 of the BIG magnets, my uses more common are for holding things like push sticks to the side or front of the machine for easy grasp, and use the miter slots for most other things, espeically feather boards.
John
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:45:25 GMT, "Cyrille de Brbisson"