Railing for changing table

Hey everyone. After getting about 75% done with my biggest project so far (changing table), my son was born prematurely and passed away. That was two years ago and now we are going to be adopting a baby come January, so I pulled out the panels from storage today to dry-assemble them again.

SWMBO mentioned maybe putting a rail around three sides of the top, but I can't seem to come up with any ideas as to what it would look like.

Can anybody help with any ideas? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Chris Mooney

How about spindles with a rail on top? Space them about every 6 inches or so.

Good luck with the adoption. We had a similar situation.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Damn! That's a horrible reason to have to give up on a project. I'm glad you've got a reason to get back to it.

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

Reply to
Jim Behning

Sat, Oct 2, 2004, 9:34pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Chris=A0Mooney) needs to know: SWMBO mentioned maybe putting a rail around three sides of the top,

Theres people out there who'll say you don't need a rail - beause you're supposed to keep your eyes on the kid every second. They either don't have kids, or don't live in the real world.

A rail ain't a bad idea. 'Cause sooner or later you're gonna get distracted, and look away for a second or two. Good habit tho, is always keep at least one hand on the kid.

I'd go for a not too tall solid rail. I don't like things the kid can put his/her head, or arm, thru. Put the arm out, and you don't notice, pick the kid up, not good.

Later on, you'll be changing the kid on the floor, your lap, chairs, tables, car seats, car hoods, wherever. So, consider your changing table a luxury, rather than a necessity.

You'll learn too. You get the kid changed, you'll get a look, then a big smile - and you'll know the kid needs changing again..

JOAT We will never have great leaders as long as we mistake education for intelligence, ambition for ability, and lack of transgression for integrity.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

For several pictures see:

strap or belt is also recommended so you might think about leaving a space or slot on the far railing for attaching one.

Jois

Reply to
firstjois

If you can fix the wrap, this site shows five different changing tables and you can click on the photos and get larger and more detailed views.

>Jois

Reply to
firstjois

Looking at several pictures I wonder if you could make a large tray that fits over the existing top? If the tray's edges slipped over the top securely you might not have to use screws or nails to attach it to the changing table top and when outgrown the changing table would revert to bookcase/furniture use and the super sized tray for Lego building use.

Jois

Reply to
firstjois

In that case, he should probably go with a higher rail now ;)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

GREAT IDEA! I can't stand the money they want for this stuff, which has a very short period of use. We never considered a rail, because we never considered leaving the baby there, but my DIL wanted a rail. We got them an old small dresser, previously painted, which turned out to be made mostly of walnut, with some wild grain patterns. It cleaned up fine, but the top was a little wavy. My son made a new top out of some rough walnut he planed down and attached a rail. It all finished up to look nice and I'm sure it will be the kid's dresser for years.

Anyhow, the box idea is outstand> >> Edw> >>>>> top, but I can't seem to come up with any ideas as to what it

Reply to
Wilson

Hi Chris,

Last year I made a changeing table for grandkid number 3. I actually put a rail on all four sides. The two sides and back are decorative and, if I remember right, about six inches tall. The front rail is just that, a rail, and about three inches off the table surface.

I posted a picture at:

this helps. Good luck and best wishes.

Wally Goffeney

First off, thanks for all the great ideas for my quandry!

I finally glued up my very first indoor furniture project - the changing table. I have decided to go with the VERY good idea of the "tray" for the top, and SWMBO likes it too. It is now all sanded (SWMBO) and is planned to be stained by the weekend (SWMBO).

Aside from ONE stray glue drip, it went really well. That being said, I took the advice I have seen on here numerous times and planned more time for the planning than it would take to execute. Amazing how well it all falls into place when you put some forethought into it! :)

Thanks again all. I will make sure to post pictures of my very modest first piece on the binaries newsgroup so it is at least recorded for posterity's sake. :)

Chris Mooney

Reply to
Chris Mooney