Quietest Shop Vac? Need in a hurry!

Page 2 of 2

Not a knock on any brand, but 5 years is nothing... I've been waiting for my Craps-man vac to die for over 20 years..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

I had to get a new one a few years back. My JC Penney finally rusted out. I guess I could have just gotten a barrel and fastened the motor to it but I figured it was time.

--John

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I do not have a dust collector. ..

described will run you nealry the cost of the HFT (possibly more!) put it on wheels for the time being and put the uctwork for it on your XMAS LIST.

I was considering that option last night too, but came to the conclusion that I use the shop vac for a lot of tasks outside the shop. Vacuuming the cars, cleaning the woodstove, drywall work, spring cleaning the house, remodeling work at my in-laws, etc.
Considering the costs, I'm wondering about buying a better shop vac and postponing the dust collector a little longer. My main gripe with this is the better vacs are usually larger, which means less portability. As it is my wife complained about lugging my 12 gallon vac out to clean the cars. :) It would also be harder to transport a larger vac to work at my in-laws.
I'll have to see what I can find locally today, as I don't have the time to wait for a vac to be shipped.
Anthony
When I sand with my festool ROM I dont know that the vac is on except not a bit of dust. Its also a variable speed and turns on then the sander turns on.

IMHO, you might consider spending maybe $200 for the harbor "fright" DC and starter kit and picking up a used vac for the other chores at a garage sale.. If the DC is too loud, I added this to mine and quieted it down a LOT.. YMWV http://www.pennstateind.com/store/sup1000.html
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Not to mention that for some of my tools, ie miter saw, band saw, and ROS where the hole isn't four inches, the suction of my $250 Harbor Fright DC drops to worse than the shop vac.

Strange.. you have any leaks or vac loss?
I use a reducer at the lathe and the difference that I see (with the $150 HF DC) is that 4" has lower suction but more volume, where 2 1/2" has more suction and less volume.. I've tried both and for sanding on the lathe the 2 1/2" is easier to get close to the work and will draw the dust further than the 4"..
OTOH, I sealed the little DC connecter on my band saw and put a 4" hole in the lower clamshell and it works a lot better now..YMWV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
HerHusband wrote:

My craftsman is the loudest, ear piercing POS I've ever encountered. I prefer the dust over the noise.
HerHusband wrote:

I have the Ridgid WD06250. Was a gift, but probably came from the Borg. It's OK. It's quieter than the radial arm saw. Just running the vac, I don't bother with ear defenders. Vac plus radial arm saw, I put on ear defenders. It's all plastic, with a paper HEPA filter. Hose is all plastic with a plastic snap lock thingie so I can pull the vac by the hose. It's been sucking for a year without any trouble.
David Starr

Based on the many positive reviews I've read, I bought a Ridgid WD1450 shop vac this afternoon for $99 (+tax). I haven't had the opportunity to really work it yet, but I did get everything assembled and fired it up for a few tests.
Noise Level - Not bad. It's quieter than my "quiet" Shop Vac, though in all fairness that has been sounding a lot louder and unhealthy the past few weeks. I remember being impressed when I bought my old Shop Vac too. I'm sure the WD1450 isn't as quiet as the Fein or Festool machines, but it's only one third the price and it was in stock just a few miles from home. It's certainly quiet enough to use by itself, and I wear ear muffs when using it with other tools like a sander anyway.
Suction - Seemed strong, and the 2-1/2" hose was easy to clip on and pull the vac around with. I can't judge it more until I've had a chance to work with it, but it should be more than adequate for my needs.
Accessories - I liked the "bucket" on the back of the Shop Vac brand better than the "bag" on the Ridgid WD1450, but I suppose I'll adjust. I generally don't use any of the accessories anyway, other than a brush (not included) and a small nozzle for tight spots. I'll probably keep and use the attachments from my old vac.
The WD1450 has a nice 20' cord, though again, I liked the cord hooks on my old Shop Vac better. The cord wraps around the handle on the WD1450, and there doesn't seem to be much to keep it there. Time will tell whether it actually stays in place.
The WD1450 has four small casters that make it easier to move in any direction than my old Shop Vac. However, the Shop Vac had big wheels in back that allowed me to pull it up over extension cords. I probably won't be able to do that with the WD1450.
I forgot to pick up a fine filter bag when I was at Home Depot today, but I did see them in stock there. I'll pick one up tomorrow. Naturally, the extra bag I had for my Shop Vac doesn't fit the WD1450 properly, which will probably translate into more expensive bags that are harder to find. We'll see...
I am a little disappointed that I had to go to a 14 gallon vac, to get the same features I had on my old 12 gallon vac. I would have preferred something smaller and more portable than my old vac. I'm not sure the WD1450 will even fit in my trunk anymore, and my wife isn't going to be happy about dragging it out to vacuum the cars. :) But, if I can get a dust collector in the near future, my shop vac needs may be less important and I may be able to downsize. We'll see... I was ready to spring for the dust collector and make an hour drive one way to go get it, but they didn't have any in stock. Guess it's best I didn't make an impulse buy anyway. :)
So, I lost a day I could have been working on the cabinets, but I should be back up and running tomorrow.
Thanks for everyones input!
Anthony

Ridgid also makes an inexpensive 'muffler' the plugs on the air exhaust fitting. It makes things a little quieter -- not so much the absolute sound level but knocks off some of the higher frequencies. It is a 'noticeable', albeit *not* 'radical' difference.
If you want seriously quiet _on_a_budget_, AND are willing to compromise down to household-size hose, look for a used 'Filter Queen'. they catch _everything_ out of the air, are damn-near indestructible -- stainless construction, and *amazingly* quiet. No provision for wet pick-up capability, though. :)
Unlike virtually any other 'home' vacuum, you _don't_ risk damaging it if it picks up something solid -- hardware, wood scraps, whatever.
They've also got a built-in 'cyclone', so suction doesn't degrade much as it pulls in dust.
Filter Queens are _grossly_ over-priced on the new market, but can be had reasonably on the used one.

http://www.me.mtu.edu/courses/meem4704/project/spring04/vacuum_report.pdf