Purpleheart again

to its purplish brown color over time he didn't know for sure. In researching this on the web, one camp says exposure to UV over time and the other camp says oxidation. The UV camp says use a finish with UV blockers and the oxidation camp says use a water-borne finish.
*** As I don't know for sure either, and there is a never ending stream of new finishes being introduced, again the question : "What finish will let purpleheart keep its purple color?" PvR

To add to the discussion, I have a plane from Steve Knight, about 4 years old, made of purpleheart. It's barely been exposed to sunlight (basement shop) and is as purple now as when I got it. I think it's just oiled and waxed... So I would say oxidation doesn't enter into it.
Dont you think the oil and wax would keep air from touching the wood, thus preventing oxidation? A poly finish will also keep air from touching the wood. So I dont think oxidation is the problem either. For what it's worth... we have hardwood floors factory finished with all the UV protection blah blah blah and they have still turned color in only 3 years ....only place they didnt change color was in closets, etc. So I dont put much faith in UV protection.

In researching UV screen, I found there are UV blockers and UV absorbers. The best finishes use both and if using the maximum amount can add up to more than 20% to the cost of production. I suspect that there are a lot of products on the market that boast UV protection but only add a minimal amount to hold down cost but still meet the truth in advertising game.