possible OT question about Parallels

I was strolling around a new Harbor Freight store the other day and I came across a small box containing twenty little metal plates. The box was marked Parallels.
I asked the folks working there what they were, but all I got was shoulder shrugs and "I dunno's".
When I returned home, I looked up these Parallels on Harbor Freight's web site (item number: 789-5VGA), however their description was obviously meant for some one who already knew what the little things were used for.

And this surprises you because -- ? :-)

In a nutshell, they're precision-ground spacers. Google on "machinist's parallels" or repost to rec.crafts.metalworking for more info.
--
Regards,
Most times parallels are used with a vise on a milling machine, to stand a small part above the top of the jaws. Used in pairs, mostly. The two long edges are "Parallel". But they may not be flat, so can only be used in that orientation.