Popping in to plug my book...

Page 1 of 2

99% of you don't have a clue what this is about, but here's a link anyway.
http://tinyurl.com/9a6hz
My Rosegarden (music application for Linux) book is published, and available from Amazon.co.uk. (Supposed to be available from Amazon.com too, but it's not there yet.)
The book and Rosegarden itself are what I've been doing since I wandered off a bit back. I haven't really done anything creative or interesting in my shop since the Pinewood Derby. It was dismal, dank and rainy for a long time, and then it got --> HOT <--. I'm more or less just biding my time until fall. I don't even have the energy to get out there and try to improve the ventilation or something to get it less hot. (HOT means 100 is a typical day, and I've seen 120. Urf. It's impossible to work when you're pouring corrosive sweat all over every cast iron surface in a room full of cast iron surfaces. Not to mention swelling up the wood fibers.)
Probably the most noteworthy thing that a majority of you Wreckers will appreciate is that I've had a falling out with the BSA. My son bridged over from Webelos II, and everything was all go go yeeha whoop-t-dee, let's be Boy Scouts, for about six weeks. He hated every second of it, starting after about the third meeting.
The older Scouts were constantly picking on him, shoving him around, delighting in his girlish squeals when they would do something he felt might cause an injury to his recently-healed dislocated elbow, and the other adult leaders and older boy leaders were just looking the other way, and/or the aggressors were just really good at doing their thing when no one was looking. I can buy either story, or a combination. It happens. Jock dad tells his son not to beat up wuss kid in public, but secretly delights in being able to live vicariously through his wee lad and sock the hell out of that little wuss kid. Bullies are also extremely adept at presenting one face to authority figures, and a completely different face to bully-ees.
I could rant about it for hours, bitching about juice and politics and hypocrisy, but the bottom line is that I was unable to be at any of these meetings, and there was no way anybody else was going to look after my son. He was going to have to stand up for himself, and he wouldn't. He just hasn't reached that breaking point yet. Someday he will stand up and kick somebody in the nuts and put an end to this crap once and for all, but until then he's bully fodder. I just couldn't see driving across town and back twice to keep submitting him to that kind of crap. He's going to have to deal with it in school, but why volunteer for an extra helping after hours?
On the bright side, the other reason he kind of lost interest in Scout stuff was because he found himself a little miniature sized wimminz to hang out with. I didn't have this close of a relationship with a girl until I was getting close to buy beer, and here the little pre-teen Casanova has scored himself a gen-u-ine girlfriend before he even reached middle school. They go bowling together, see movies, go to parks, and delight in each other's company in stuff (chaperoned and chauffeured and financed by one set of parents or the other, obviously) and they both seem really happy. They're both bully fodder, see.
It seems like an OK deal to me. I'd trade hanging out with a bunch of boys for a good woman any day of the week. :)
Well, that's about it in a nutshell, unless I find time to cry about how close to the brink my poor termite-infested shop is. I went digging underneath, and there ain't no underneath there anymore. The sub-structure stuff everything else sits on it nothing but paint and knots. Sigh.
I'm going to try to hold out for a couple three more years, and I think it will probably make it. If it's still standing now, it will keep levitating awhile longer. When I get some bills paid down and gain some breathing room, I think I'm going to suck it up, spend the difference, and put up a decent steel building. Eat THAT you bastards.
Feel free to go buy a copy of my book, even though you have no idea what it's about. I don't mind a bit. :)
Oh, and BTW, Dave, I haven't heard from you in a good while now.

Damn Silvan - have I been asleep or has it been a while since you've posted?
As to the Scouts, I can relate to your son's experiences. Scouts are a cross-section of the rest of male society. There are bullies, intellectuals, jocks, geeks, geniuses, rocks for brains and everything in between - and the Scout Masters are the very same. It's a shame that the adults weren't more attentive to the situation - is there another troop in your area that might be more welcoming?
I had a sour experience with Scouts when I moved from one state to another and tried joining a new troop. I guess it was sort of a hazing to see if you passed their muster but I didn't like it or feel welcome in the least. I find it sad that these goings on are still present some 30 years after my experience.
On the flip side, my nephew has been in Scouts for several years now and he's a very thin and unassuming kid - will probably make Eagle in a couple years. I guess it's not so much the fault of the boys in your son's troop - they'll get away with what they can - it's the failing of the Scout Master.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

I left the Sea Scouts something like 51 or 52 years ago because of the hazing. Four or five years later, I was at Parris Island learning what concentrated and deliberate hazing was all about.
Semper fi.
Kids live through it, some are better for it, most are not unless it has a really tight aim, as at PI.

I'll second this suggestion. When I outgrew the Webelos, I wasn't too impressed with the local Boy Scout troop, so I conveniently "forgot" to sign up. But my mother somehow had the idea that the Boy Scouts were a Good Thing, and she got me into another (smaller) troop, and it was a very different experience.
I think it helped a lot that they were in a different school district, so I didn't see the same guys every day at school. And they had a good scoutmaster, which helps a lot-- a few years later when his son graduated, they had a hard time replacing him and the troop gradually fell apart, but it was good while it lasted.
OTOH almost any other activity with good adult leadership (role models) might be an adequate substitute. For me the main thing about the Boy Scouts was the chance to go camping every month, which was an opportunity I wouldn't have had otherwise. I was never much interested in things like merit badges (YMMV).
Ron Bean wrote:

One thing I forgot on this... This is a "good" troop. Really highly acclaimed and stuff, with money and resources up the wazoo, and lots of happy people who are all on the same page together and stuff.
My son just didn't fit in with them.
I decided to pull the plug on the whole thing though. Scouting was my thing more than his, and he'd rather hand out and trade Pokemon cards with his girlfriend.
Hey, at least he ain't gay. He's spending a lot of time with her, going on stuff you could even call dates. They get along great. Maybe he'd just rather hang out with a chick than a bunch of guys. Ain't nothin' wrong with that. I'd rather hang out with a chick too. :D

Exactly. I'm going to send him on some adventure camp stuff instead. It's all good.
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:44:45 -0400, the opaque Silvan

Quick, before the US version is up, too, GIVE THEM A REVIEW AND MORE INFO. You're going to have a lot of angry little old Mums breaking down your door with "Where are the roses?" questions, son.

I touched a brake drum in a junk yard Phoenix one summer afternoon and learned my lesson but good. Steel and heat get along too well for even a calloused hand to be comfy.

I stopped after the Cub scouts but did buy some of the BS projects and build them. My favorite was the self-propelled rocket ship (rubber band/propeller/balsa wood model on a 100' wire between trees.)

BTDT, finally stood up to the bully, Rex, on the football/track field. He was 8" taller and had a good 50 lbs on me. I was a couple inches shorter than most of the guys in my PE class and yelled, in my loudest voice, "OK, if you want to hit me, hit me." and then put my arms down to my side and left them there. The entire school watched as he backed down and he never pushed me around again. Rex Ashlock is a name I won't soon forget. It sure felt good to stand up to him and NOT get hammered. <g>
--snip--

Works for me, too!

Ah, sounds like my old homestead in LoCal. Don't miss it a bit. (Well, I do miss the bevy of beauties in bikinis and the SD Wild Animal Park, but that's about it.)

You shall surely suck when you do that, but I hear no howling winds at your door just yet, Silvie. Welcome back, BTW.

Twenty some odd Samoleans? Pass.

What? Dave's not here, man. --Cheech
- Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag? - http://diversify.com Full Service Web Application Programming

Victor Lippy.
Cheese'n'rice, with a name like that I guess I can muster some sympathy for the guy - but still...
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
Larry Jaques wrote:

I did that five minutes after I saw the book was up, but it ain't there yet.

Oh yeah, that too, that too.

George Jackson. BTDT.
I never did get hammered either, and after that I just walked around daring people to start something. Nobody ever did. Amazing.
But I've given this lecture 10,000 times, and my son isn't ready to apprehend its underlying meaning yet.

I can imagine. I went to some take-your-dog-to-the-pool-for-charity thing not too long ago. I should go to the pool more often. Usually you have to pay a $10 cover charge to see that much jiggling flesh, and the pool is only $5. :D
(I'm not actually serious though. I guess I'm getting old, or resigned to my fate to go around with PROPERTY OF SWMBO: DO NOT TOUCH stamped on my forehead forever. Something. :)

No no howling winds or even a faint stirring of air yet. I'm thinking steel for the easy up as much as anything else. They built a modular steel building across the street, something like 75,000 sq. ft. and 20' tall, and one guy did 95% of the erection work by himself, just him and a forklift. I thought "yeah, I could do that." Plus of course there ain't a bug yet that eats steel. Not yet anyway.

Or you could just send me two bucks and it's all the same to me. :) The author biz sucks as a get rich quick scheme. Evvvvvrybody's got a hand out.
Silvan (in UZqdnb snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com) said:
| :) The author biz sucks as a get rich quick scheme.
No surprises there.
I missed the original post. What have you written? Something lighter than "C Unleashed", I hope...
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:49:23 -0400, Silvan

consider offering him lessons in one of the peaceful warrior type martial arts. the headspace is great, and when the time does come, he's likely to be the one who comes out on top.
welcome back, Sylvan.
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:44:45 -0400, Silvan

...er, woodworking?
Didn't look at the book, but congratulations. I know what a thrill it was when my wife got published.
Really sad about your son's scouting experience. (I am heading off to Scout camp in about an hour.) My son's troup is run entirely by the older boys and they are great working with the little guys. The boys with the wrong spirit simply drop out. Maybe if you looked around you could find one like that?
Oh, about bullies... My cousin was really short and got picked on, until he broke someone's leg with a kick.

On the bully thing. Read Ender's Game By Orson Scott Card.
--
Dana Miller

Congrats on your literary accomplishment!
Just wondering who's poorer - an author or a drummer... :)

Patrick Conroy wrote:

Thanks.

Good question. I'm told I'll be very lucky to sell more copies than my advance on something this obscure and niche-oriented, so let's see... 1,300 hours over 2.5 years (easy), compared to my advance...
Unless I sell more than 500 copies, I will have worked for $0.32 an hour.
I'm betting drumming pays at least double that. :)

Yup, everything but the hole in my wallet, which is still hemorrhaging.
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:00:46 -0400, Silvan

I co-authored a book 10-15 years ago that sold around 2500 copies IIRC. We never did cover the $1,500 advance we each got. Ultimately I think we figured we worked for around ten or twelve cents an hour. There were literally thousands of hours just in the editorial review cycles *after* the original authoring was finished.

I was one of those for pay for a couple weekends many decades ago - we got paid in beer.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

Yeah, it's a lot of work, innit?

Well, call it $1 per bottle for decent beer (easy) one beer per hour for 1300 hours (easy) and they'd be spending a lot more to pay me in beer. :)
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 22:04:30 -0400, Silvan

Curious thing about getting paid in beer - there is a certain point beyond which it is impossible to earn any more....
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 08:27:08 -0700, Tim Douglass

You only rent beer though.....
Mark
Tim Douglass wrote:

*hic* I dn'ot knwo whta yuor talinkg aobut.