Outside Gate, What wood to use?

I've been asked to rebuild an outside fence gate for my father. This is a rather low colonial like gate, I guess. I'll post a picture next week after I het the old one. But in the mean time I was ondering what kind of wood should I use for it. It will be outside and it will be painted. I'ver heard Ceder or Cypris. What about hard woods like Poplar or maple. I could really use some help here, I've never built anything for the outdoors.
Thanks Ben
This link provides a lot of info from a fence manufacturer. It should be enought to get you started.
http://www.fenceonline.com/faq-wood.html
Tim
Ben wrote:

--
No BoomBoom for me! - snipped-for-privacy@BoomBoomVerizon.net

I wouldn't use cypress unless it is old-growth cypress. It moves too much with changes in moisture. I use cypress for outdoor use when the cypress is fastened down in such a way that is can't move much. A gate is free hanging and can move around a lot. Some time back, I made some doors for an outdoor barbeque out of cypress and put on 3 coats of polyurethane. Depending on the weather, the doors would bow out about 3/4" or in 3/4".
Two favorites would be mahogany or spanish cedar. Considering the cost of mahogany, spanish cedar is a good choice for an exterior wood. Check out http://www.exotichardwoods-southamerica.com/cedarspanish.htm .
White oak would be a good choice also (it is used for boats and caskets), but considering the weight, I still think spanish cedar is a better choice for a gate.
Preston

I don't live where such exotic woods grow, like maple or poplar. We use redwood out here. Special primer for the tannic acids, but then paints well. Except wood should never be painted, no? Cedar is the other wood, but it doesn't grow out here, however it does last as well.
I've had good luck with western red cedar.