OT: RIP - another music legend hangs up the ole gittar ...

Just got word a few minutes ago that Hank Thompson died this morning.
I used to sneak into clubs as a kid in the late 50's just to see him and his hot road band, "The Brazos Valley Boys" ... one of the best Honky Tonk/Western Swing bands ever.
Here's a "Six Pack To Go" to you, Hank, there's a ton of musicians you've influenced that will miss you!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 10:42:19 -0600, Swingman wrote:

I'll share that those thoughts with you. As far as I am concerned, there was and never will be a greater western swing band. I still have his records from the 50's and still listen to him.
I'm sure that great country singers and bands in the sky has been waiting for him.
So long, Hank.
Paul T.
--
The only dumb question, is the one not asked

http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!
PHT wrote:

Bob Wills.
"dpb" wrote in message

Bob who?? Never heard of him ... ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07
Swingman wrote:

:)
If I didn't know better, I'd say you were too young... :)

dpb wrote:

Tex Ritter - his Blood On The Saddle - a cowboy classic.
Terry Gross of NPR just rebroadcast her interview with Hank Thompson. Don't recall the date of the original interview. He talked about a recording session he played on with George Jones and Loretta Lynn - after they'd split up. He said that while they were both pros and worked together as professionals, there was a special emotional edge in their voices that comes through on the recordings - country western songs being mostly about lost loves and hard luck - with a bit of whiskey thrown in. You know - the ones which, when you play backwards - you get back your wife, your kids, your house, your truck, your dog, your pistol - and your heart.
Willy, take real good care of yourself (as if) cause there ain't no more of your kind around and there likely won't be any more.
charlie b
Swingman wrote:

in "God didn't make honky tonk angels". Just great and caused a bit of a sensation in South Dakota (and other towns in the sticks).
The world needs more artists like Hank, not less.
    sigh,     jo4hn

It sure does, but instead we get a host of pretty boys who must carry a gym on the bus, hop around the stage in their undershirts, and keep hats pulled down over their eyes as if they were some kind of Far West bad ass desperadoes. A couple can sing, but, jeez, most don't even give mediocre a good name.

Heh Heh heh..Ya know Charlie, ThAT means we're gettin' old!

No it doesn't because I am only 42 and I cant stand to watch some of them perform. They look like they are posing for a picture shoot rather than singing and playing music. Puff

Kenneth
Swingman wrote:

http://objflicks.com/arizona.htm
His pop wasn't too shabby either.