ON Topic ;) - Wine Bottle Storage Dimensions

Page 2 of 2
"Greg G." wrote:

Before 2 buck chuck, was told the true method of buying wine at Trader Joes.
Buy the cheapest bottle in the store.
Go outside, open bottle, and take a swig.
If you throw up, throw bottle in trash, then repeat with next lowest cost bottle.
If you don't throw up, go back inside and buy rest of the case.
Straight fwd binary decision.

When the rest of the country falls into the Atlantic, CA will still be here<G>.

I grew up in Ohio back when you got your liquor at the "State Store".
State got out of the booze business, but don't remember when.
I quit the hard stuff a long time ago.

Where that?
Lew
Lew Hodgett said:

Makes sense, although I'd be wary of the next day reaction. (Hangover if used in excess...)

Well hell, maybe I'll move there after all.

Didn't even drink until my late 20s, and that was mostly 'cause that's where the single women were. Unfortunately, there was a reason, most times, why they were single. Was talked into it by co-workers. Same with cigarettes. They were dead wrong on both counts.

The Bible Belt. Dixie Mafia land. The Southeast. I'm still in disbelief they allowed the government into the gambling business during my 8 year absence. What a racket.
Greg G.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

For the money, it is VERY good. It's $2.99 at Trader Joe's here in metro Chicago, no doubt due to the taxation by the People's Republic Of Illinois...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tim Daneliuk snipped-for-privacy@tundraware.com PGP Key: http://www.tundraware.com/PGP /
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

You've got it lucky. I can barely buy decent juice to make my own wine for $2/bottle. The cheapest wine available here is more like $7/bottle and I wouldn't want to drink it.
Chris

Juice to make wine now seems to be in the $2.50 to $3.50 range depending on type and source.
My first tip to a supermarket (non-tourist area) in Italy was a surprise. They had a display of wines on one aisle about 30 feet long. Prices started at 1.5 Euro. I figured I was reading things wrong but sure enough, it was that cheap. And pretty good for the price.
wrote in message

try a fresh wine store next time you're there. little hole in the wall with all sorts of wine delivered straight from the vineyards in 100 litre carboys. hand them your bag of jugs, go shopping, and come back to pick up your full ones. it tastes very different than bottled wine.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
J T wrote:

Brings back memories. But Mother Clarke's wasn't all that good.
--John
(Tim Daneliuk) doth come in and waonder: Does anyone have a list of recommended dimensions for storing wine bottles of various sizes: 375 ml, 750ml, 1.5 l, and possibly even Champagne. I am trying to concoct my own wine storage system and want to see if my estimated cubbyhole sizes align with other people's experiences...
Probably not what you want but I made mine from 4 inch thin wall pvc. I built a box with sliding doors and just stacked them up with a bit of pvc glue between each row. Raise the back of the first row up so the cork stays wet. I can store close to 200 bottles in a basement room that stays dark and cool. Cheap but works. I make my own wine. Virgle

Arrange the bottles in a rectangular cubby as below: (best viewed with a fixed-space font such as Courier)
O O O O O O O O O O O O O
Width of cubbyhole is obviously three bottle diameters; height is, somewhat less obviously, 4.464 bottle diameters. General formula for 'n' rows is (((n - 1) * sqrt(3) / 2) + 1) diameters. Add a small amount, maybe 1/4", to each dimension for clearance.
--
Regards,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

of the bottles, which are (in my cubbies, at least) touching. In paragraph below, 'width' and 'height' should read 'minimum width' and 'minimum height' respectively.

--
Regards,