Odd white spot in my maple.

Working on a top, too wide for the planer, hand planing it. Saw a white spot.. Looked like tear out to the eye. Kept working it, then took the scraper out. Still there. Feels different, softer.. Sanded like crazy still there.
Photos don't pick up the white. I thought maybe it was glue, but it's not... wiped it with mineral spririts... and it doesn't show up.
Very wierd, not a pitch pocket. Not a normal sight on maple... Feels different though.. feels grabby, gummy....
Just blabbing out loud since there's no real ww discussion... Moving on, I don't think I need to worry about it... but tis odd.
I might prep this with shellac wash just to avoid finish problems, as it will be stained. Was planning on a gel.
--
Jeff

Is it the same size on the other side? I wonder if it could be an indication of a branch?
Maybe an indication of a past injury?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 4/21/2014 4:51 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

There might be something on the other side a little bit away.. looks different, but not white, lighter spot than surrounding.
I found another white spot that actually looks like white primer... but isn't. It does not have the grabby feeling. I don't know what these are. Could be an injury.. I've never seen them b4.
--
Jeff

A (wood) freckle. Kiss it and it'll do good for you.
Sonny
On 4/21/2014 5:11 PM, Sonny wrote:

:-)
--
Jeff

On 4/21/2014 3:15 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Sounds like some fungal attack during/before drying, perhaps. The softer than other is a klew...

On 4/21/2014 5:09 PM, dpb wrote:

Could be.
--
Jeff

"woodchucker" wrote:

Maybe a "Dutchman".
Flip the piece, Make the front the back. If you do this, seal the surface with shellac.
Lew
On 4/22/2014 11:43 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Can't flip it. I left some very rough spots on the bottom. There was no need to thickness down to remove them. I am spanning 60" with this, therefore the thickness meant much to me, as well as the use of hardwood maple over ply. Originally planned to use plastic laminate for this top, but all calculations proved the span too much for ply. This is a pull out table pics when I am done.
Having a problem buying the wood I want for the hutch/shelving. The wife does not want me spending anything, and the ply I have is warped.. So... still contemplating what to do.
--
Jeff