Non-toxic, waterproof glue for kitchen tools

I want/need to make some things for the kitchen that either of necessity or by design must be made from separate parts glued together. Since some of these will be used to prepare food, I'm looking for, as the subject says, non-toxic, waterproof glue that I can use for these things. TIA Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Titebond II and III are classified as safe for "indirect food contact". I

*believe* that means that it touches the food but is not normally ingested. Sorta iffy also on "waterproof". Definitions are funny that way.
Reply to
MikeWhy

After it cures out, epoxy is inert.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If it's mixed precisely, otherwise it can leach phenol or amines for ages.

Reply to
J. Clarke

TB III is NOT water proof as you and I would understand the definition. It is water proof under the testing labs definition of water proof. Basically they consider water resistant to mean water proof. Go figger.

Reply to
Leon

Water proof - REALLY water proof - resorcinol.

Water resistant, Titebond type II or III (I prefer II)

As a practical matter you don't really need water proof. Unless you plan to run your wood glue ups through the dishwasher in which case the wood will disintegrate too.

As far as toxicity goes, I have no idea but even if the cured glue *was* mildly toxic it isn't going to dissolve into the food. I'd worry more about the toxicity of the wood itself (don't use oleander, e.g.).

Reply to
dadiOH

Not sure if any wood glues are truly "waterproof," but Elmers and Titebond make a reasonably good water resistant glues that are non-toxic. With the best glue, you still need a good snug-fitting clean joint. No dishwasher--hand wash only.

Reply to
Phisherman

Gorilla glue is waterproof. I can't find info on whether it is FDA approved for direct or indirect food contact or not.

The Gorilla woodglue is FDA approved for indirect contact. It is only listed as water resistant.

I bet an email to the company would get a quick and definitive response.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

I use Elmer's Woodworkers Glue. I have cutting boards I glued up over

30 years ago and never had a failure, despite seeing them soaking in a sink full of soapy water...

Not supposed to be water proof but I never had a joint fail. I would not put them in a dishwasher though, and advised the wife not to soak in the sink either.

Reply to
Jack Stein