Non-toxic Sealer

I am looking for a non-toxic once dried and relatively inexpensive material to seal wood. A neighbour is a farmer who has hay/feed wagons that have bottoms made of 2X6 planks. Wet feed often sits for long periods on the wood with the expected results. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to protect the wood and not poison the cows? Thanks,
JGS wrote:

Paint comes to mind?
Providing drainage holes, not over-feeding and cleaning out the bunks is far more effective and cheaper...
JGS wrote:

Raw linseed oil.

I am sure someone will think of an exception, but no woodworking materials are toxic when dry. Deckstain?

How 'bout if the feed is wet? Does that count?
Of course no animal is likely to suffer, but it's a fool's errand to try and treat a wagon bed. That's why they've gone bare these many thousands of years since agriculture became a way of life.
Why not replace the planking with the composite (plastic) that is used on decks. I is water proof, won't rot and is non-toxic
Frank
JGS wrote:

"Frank S." wrote:

It is also more expensive and much less rigid. I don't think it would stand up any time at all.
Thanks fellows. I'll pass on your comments. JG