Non-toxic Sealer

I am looking for a non-toxic once dried and relatively inexpensive material to seal wood. A neighbour is a farmer who has hay/feed wagons that have bottoms made of 2X6 planks. Wet feed often sits for long periods on the wood with the expected results. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to protect the wood and not poison the cows? Thanks,

Reply to
JGS

Paint comes to mind?

Providing drainage holes, not over-feeding and cleaning out the bunks is far more effective and cheaper...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Raw linseed oil.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Reply to
George

I am sure someone will think of an exception, but no woodworking materials are toxic when dry. Deckstain?

Reply to
Toller

Why not replace the planking with the composite (plastic) that is used on decks. I is water proof, won't rot and is non-toxic

Frank

JGS wrote:

Reply to
Frank S.

How 'bout if the feed is wet? Does that count?

Of course no animal is likely to suffer, but it's a fool's errand to try and treat a wagon bed. That's why they've gone bare these many thousands of years since agriculture became a way of life.

Reply to
George

It is also more expensive and much less rigid. I don't think it would stand up any time at all.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
JGS