Non-toxic materials

Thanks for the filler idea, that's perfect!

Reply to
schwarzenschafe

Sorry I don't have access to my computer and I'm finding google groups pretty cludgy.

They pointed out how toxic my MDF projects were, I already stated I madea mistake and wasn't aware MDF outgasses and I couldn't effectively seal it. Since I already knew about the MDF issue they were either just trying to point out how stupid I am, or were actually trying to be helpful/informative and didn't read the whole post, I gave him the benifit of doubt and chose to believe he was a decent guy trying to be helpful, obviously I was wrong.

Good idea. I've been trying. First of all, I'm not sure what products I should be using, that's why I'm here. Second, it's pretty hard to get an answer on some stuff. For instance I've spent almost 3 hours trying to find out if my local drywall supplier can sell me wallboard that doesn't use fluegas desulpherization gypsum and recycled paper that may contain VOCs from inks, and I still have no idea.

Trying to find information on toxicity of building materials is not easy at all, if you think it is please tell me where you get your info because I'm having to do a hell of a lot of research to find a tiny bit of usually contradictory information.

Reply to
schwarzenschafe

Just my humble opinion, go to a Sherwin Williams or your local hospital's maintenance department. They surely have experience with this sort of thing. I would ask them about materials used in isolation rooms and operating rooms.

Your local Lowe's or H.D. employees are there to sell you something. Half of the time they are not even qualified to do that.

Tom in KY, wondering if anyone else has had to deal with the same issue, and what they may have done?

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

The best shellac is mixed fresh (meaning within a few days) before use.

Remember that downflow is better than up or sidways flow as the flow then keeps the particles tightly packed. Activated carbon can be desorbed for reuse by blowing hot clean air through it, if expense is an issue. Be careful you don't set it on fire though.

What is the solvent used in acrylic paint? MinWax Polycrylic is a water-based claer wood finish. Those used to use some petroleum distillates (I think ethers) and/or glycols and may off-gas acetic acid or some such. as they cure.

Well I suppose it is not very hard and not very water-resistant. Shellac may turn milky when exposed to water (some say that dewaxed shellac does not) but water doesn't otherwise damage it. Wax is great for adding gloss to wood either directly onto smooth bare wood or over a finish but it is a very poor vapor barrier.

The methanol in the shellac should pretty much all flash off or outgas pretty quickly I would think. Small traces of methanol are found in wine and liquors and even canned tomato jouce. If you can tolerate those, shellac made with denatured alcohol may not be a problem. But do check the label, many manufacturers use other denaturants. At one time sulphuric acid was used but probably discontinued as it was too easy to 'renature' it by neutralizing the acid.

Reply to
fredfighter

snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote: : Sounds to me like highly polished stainless steel would be the best : option for materials. I don't know of any fiber based natural or : man-made product that does not emit gasses at some time or another. : Even high resin plastics release small traces of gas late in their : product life. Have you ever noticed how plastics age and tend to yellow : and dry out? I'm sure that the Finishing materials I use release gasses : long after they are cured. Doesn't varnish, polyurethane, shellac, etc. : dry to a porous finish as the gasses escape into the air?

Yes, although shellac rates tops for blocking water vapor (old FWW test) with respect to other finishes (only a very thick wax finish -- like 1/8") does better.

Whether this would extend to other gases, I dunno.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Fri, Dec 9, 2005, 11:39am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth say: They pointed out how toxic my MDF projects were, I already stated I madea mistake and wasn't aware MDF outgasses and didn't read the whole post, Good idea. I've been trying. First of all, I'm not sure what products I should be using, that's why I'm here. Second, it's pretty hard to get an answer on some stuff. For instance I've spent almost 3 hours trying to find out if my local drywall supplier Trying to find information on toxicity of building materials is not easy at all, if you think it is please tell me where you get your info

I know for a fact that I said ask the "manufacturer", and you're talking about asking your "supplier". I'm sure whatever you're buying has a manufacturer's site. Probably the site has product MSDs, or whatever. They should also have a link to connect them. I doube a supplier would know, and if you're buying from Hopeless Depot, you'd be lucky to find anyone who would even know what you're talking about. However, your supplier should be able to tell you who manufactures whatever, then you go to them and ask. If your supplier can only tell you the next step up in the supply chain, but not who the actual manufacturer is, you got there, and ask them. Repeat as needed. I would have thought something like that would be pretty basic. Generation gap I guess. By the way, your cans of latex, or whatever, should have a 1-800 manufactur contact number on the can, probably on the back. Personally, I'd ask my mother before I'd ask questions like that here. You might want to check with your doctor(s) too.

JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.

Reply to
J T

talking about asking your "supplier".

Really, and here I thought BPB and Georgia Pacific were manufacturer's of drywall. Goodbye.

Reply to
schwarzenschafe

Water

That's what I thought. Thanks for the info.

SS

Reply to
schwarzenschafe

Fer Chrissake will you please calm down. Dingley is absolutely right. Hardwood and shellac.

J.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
John

--FWIW a pal of mine does these retrofits for a living. Here's a link to her site:

--She was exposed to some nasty chemicals and is now hypersensitive. 'When live gives you lemons', etc.

Reply to
steamer