Newbie bookcase construction how-to question

Hi, I'd like to build something like this for my daughter's bedroom: http://www.ikea.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId 101& storeId=3&productId499&langId=-15&parentCats104*10173
My dumb question is: how are these vertical "dividers" attached? I'm guessing each one is one continuous piece from top of unit to bottom (as oppose to separate dividers for EACH row of shelf). If so, does that mean to make these dividers, I need to rout slots on a board to attach them to the shelves? I don't have a router and so I'm hoping there's another way to attach these dividers.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards, Kevin
Kevin asks:

Years ago, I built 3-4 bookshelves similar to that. Used what you might call an egg crate design: slotted 1/2 way on each upright and horizontal piece. I did the main cuts with a handsaw, cut the ends with a jigsaw.
In fact, I built all the cases with a 7-1/4" PC circular saw, the 12 pt. handsaw, the jigsaw and some clamps. They aren't pretty, but made great storage shelves and bookshelves in the basement.
Charlie Self
"A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls." Dan Quayle
Kevin spaketh...

http://tinyurl.com/kfvx
--
McQualude

    I would guess the opposite. Putting pieces of wood that long vertically is asking for bowing. What's more, in my experience, it's harder to do than putting in pieces between each pair of shelves.

    Routing is a good way to go no matter which are the longer peices. It will make for a more solid and precise structure. In the long run, it's easier.

    You can also do this with a table saw (or even a hand-held circular saw--but that's hard). Use a dado blade or even just your regular blade. Once you get the hang of it, it will seem easy, and it gives great satisfaction. (You'll be saying to people, "Look at that dado. Have you ever seen anything more beautiful?")