New planer - advice before I use it?

Page 3 of 3
Sat, Jun 23, 2007, 9:20am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@bajadavis.com (macdavis) doth sayeth <snip> Being too old and lazy to reinvent the wheel, I'd appreciate andtips, warnings, "don't do's", etc. from you in the group that use them. <snip>
Questions like this still continue to amaze me. I don't know if it's because of he way I was brought up, my Army time, or different generations. When I got my planer I already knew to keep my fingers out of it, and to not plane nails. So i just started using it.
OK, here's your adice. Read the manual. Keep your fingers out of it. Don''t plane anything wth metal in it. After that, you're on your own.
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton
Don't plane boards to remove paint or used wood with grit on it unless you like to replace blades .
Jr
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/THENORTHCOASTPT
mac davis wrote:

Be prepared to deal with a LOT of shavings. The best thing I did for my Delta was get a plastic fitting that allowed me to channel the shavings into my dust collector. What used to be a huge PITA is no longer a big deal at all.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 06:58:51 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

floor keep his feet warm... Must be a bitch when you drop something in the shavings, though... especially if it's not something that you can find with a magnet..
In the states, 4 or 5 inches of shavings around the lathe was pretty normal, and when I was turning green stuff I had shaving on the bench, tools, ceiling, etc...
Different in the new house because the shop is inside the house and I try to keep stuff from getting tracked into the other rooms.. I wanted to spray endust on a couple of the cats that hang out in the shop, but my wife sort of lost her sense of humor when I suggested that...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Sun, Jun 24, 2007, 8:23am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@bajadavis.com (macdavis) doth sayeth: <snip> Must be a bitch when you drop something in the shavings, though... especially if it's not something that you can find with a magnet..<snip>
Tell me about it. Which is why I made a "sifter". I dump a handful of sawdut/shavings in, sift, dump the siftings into a bucket, repeat, until I find whatever. As long as I've got a fair idea of where it dropped it doesn't take too long.
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 19:11:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 04:44:56 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

Thanks... this planer comes with a pretty trick setup for DC... has a sort of shroud that fits 4" hose on one end and 2 1/2" on the other, with a reversible cap to plug the one you're not using..
I guess the reason that I wasn't going to use the DC was that everyone refers to "shavings" and I know that a DC on a lathe is useless because it just clogs the hose with shavings... I would hope that the shavings from the planer are shorter/smaller, especially with light cuts..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I made one pass on my planer and the next day I bought a DC. May not be a problem where you are, but it was a potential mess here.

I'll have to work out a way to get a dc hose or pipe through the wall of the shop..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I have only had 'shaving' issues with pine which produce wider and longer shavings. Hardwoods produce small cuttings and are not an issue.

Cool... thanks.. I'll be working mostly with pine here, so I'll keep that in mind...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I always wear safety glasses (habit while in the shop) and hearing protection. I have prescription safety glasses, with side shields.

I bought a Delta benchtop, and let it sit for a while before I used it... Out of warranty by the time I hit a brad in a plank I was planing, and nicked the blades.
The hold-down screws wouldn't budge. I had to take it to a repair shop on my time to get them replaced.
My advice: Make sure you can change the blades before it's out of warranty.

TAKE IT BACK, GET THE DEWALT WITH THREE CUTTING BLADES
Delta...

Hoosierpopi wrote:

Okay ... technically that IS 'advice'.
;-) Bill