Need good topcoat for Eastern Red Cedar?

I just bought some ERC with which I'm planning on building some outdoor deck planters.
What would be a good clear top coat for this application?
ThankX, Ron
Ron wrote:

I'd make a cedar chest with it (or line a closet) and leave it unfinished. Then I'd buy Western red cedar for the planters. I'd leave it bare too. Or maybe use somethng like a deck sealer.