mortiser advice for amateur

Page 2 of 2
On 10/8/2012 10:40 AM, Pat Barber wrote:

Compared to a Domino most router set ups are also a PIA, he has a Domino. I suspect that Han wants to do deep, two+ inch mortises.

Sorry for not being more clear, Leon. Please see my reply to Pat Barber.
--
Best regards
Han
On 10/8/2012 8:22 AM, Han wrote:

Depends upon the kind of furniture you plan on making. If you do much Mission/A&C custom work, a hollow chisel mortiser is basically a must have somewhere along that road, and they're not all that expensive for what you get in return.
With the advent of floating tenons, I don't use mine all that much any longer, but they are hard to beat for doing through tenons, even the hybrid, "floating through tenon" I use on occasion.
Kind of like the Fein multi-tool, stays put away for months, but when you need it, nothing else will do the job as efficiently for the way I work.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 10/8/2012 4:44 PM, Swingman wrote:

over. That stupid,expensive tool saved my ass again. I don't think I have used it in 5 years but when needed, it was there for me.
On 10/9/2012 2:23 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

Part of a recent remodel was removing two drop-in bath vanity sinks put in (by someone we all know hereabouts) about twenty years ago.
... he (someone we all know hereabouts) apparently was deathly afraid the law of gravity might somehow reverse itself and the sinks might fall up??
;)
AAMOF, I caught the laminate subcontractor, in a fit of desperation to get them removed, actually heading to his truck to get his tire jack to try and jack them loose!! ... apparently three separate crews had already had a shot at removing them, to no avail.
Long story short, my Fein Multi-tool, and the judicious application of some composite shims, and I singlehandedly had them both on the floor in less than five minutes.
When there is only one tool for a job that must get done NOW, you better own it ... :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:35:18 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

Dominoed them in place!?
Sonny
On 10/9/2012 4:35 PM, Swingman wrote:

Two sinks out in five minutes. the sinks never fell up in 20 years, never leaked in twenty years and were easily removed by some one that knows what he is doing with the right tools. Wat's the problem.. LOL

Never regretted buying mine, don't use it very often but when I do it is the get er done tool. Had a plumber use it on my bathroom remodel and he was headed to get one after that job. No other tool could have cut the pipe where it was, and to quote it gave a perfect cut on copper.
Mike M

I used my HF multitool again last month to cut the end of a tubafore at a strange angle for clearance, then used it again on the ScreenEZE metal bracket to shorten it, then once again to trim the plastic caps of the ScreenEZE.
I have cut quick holes in drywall to mount grab bars in showers, removed grout from tile, cut notches in tubasixes for posts, etc.
They're DAMNED handy tools, no matter who makes your particular unit.
-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin