Melamine vs. plywood for sliding shelf bottoms

I'm in the all-important "thinking about it" stage and I'd appreciate some of the good advice I have seen posted here. I want to install sliding shelves in a kitchen cabinet for pots and pans. The cabinet is run of the mill builders special 22" deep (I haven't measured the clear opening at the front yet) with wood frame (not particle board). There's a half shelf about halfway up.

I want to install two sliding shelves, one supported by the bottom of the cabinet and one supported by the half shelf and face frame. I'll probably buy them online ready to install but I'm not afraid to buy the materials and make them myself if it saves a ton of money (like half of what they cost pre-assembled and ready for installation). My skill level is "weekend warrior" at best.

What say you about the shelf material? Melamine? 1/4 inch oak plywood? Other? The (stronger)bottom shelf will hold the heavy corningware, large ceramic bowls etc, while the top will get the lighter pots and pans.

Thanks for your advice.

Mike

Reply to
mycroftt

Hi Mike,

I did the exact same thing about a year ago in our kitchen island - it was a real PITA to get pots & pans out of it - especially the bottom. Had to get down on your knees, drag out the front pots to get to the one you want - I know why you're thinking of doing this.

I made 5 trays using 1 x 2 poplar sides and

1/2 inch plywood bottoms. They were approximately 22 deep x 14 wide. I mounted them with full extension 100 lb drawer slides - using a bracket to mount them to the cabinet back and the front attached to the face frame.

This set-up has been great - it will support much more weight than we could fit on it.

I thought about melamine for the bottom too, but did not want to use the 3/4 inch thickness and could not find any 1/2 inch around here. I was trying to save every inch of space for clearance of our tall pots etc.

Anyway, it is definitely a worthwhile project - one that will save your back and knees for years to come!

Good luck!

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Our Canac cabinets all came with sliders. "Melamine-eqse" material (perhaps just a plastic coating over something). Does make it easy to clean and I don't worry about putting in wet/damp pots.

Of course, shelf-liner might have the same effect.

Reply to
patrick conroy

I've had good results using 1/2" plywood framed by hardwood, with polyethylene sheeting (about 1/16") cut to sit on the plywood. Cost me $5 for a 24"x47" sheet at Tap Plastics. Works better than that shelf liner. If you do a good job of making a rectangular tray, you can turn the polyethylene over if and when it starts becoming irretrievably dirty.

Reply to
David Minehart