Melamine plywood

I recently bought 10 sheets of plywood at auction, but I am not sure exacly what it is. The sheets have 5 layers or plywood in the center. The plywood layers are contained within a layer of particle board (maybe MDF?) on each face. The particle board in coated with a very thin white plastic. The plastic looks like melamine, but the auction listed these as "vinyl covered plywood." The sheets are 7/8" thick. The plywood is void free, and I plan to make laundry room cabinets out of them some day. Does anyone know more about what these sheets might be?

thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark

thermal fused vinyl procore panels, sounds like. laundry cabinets is an appropriate use.

the vinyl is a grade below melamine.

Reply to
bridger

Sound like Armor Core sold by States Industries.

It was sold as a lightweight product (plywood) that would be laminated (veneered) on the face (particleboard) without the usual telegraphing and snakiness of plywood.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

How do I tell vinyl from melamine? The auction people were not good at identifying sheet goods, so I can't trust that they got it right. The stuff was all in mixed stacks. I bought "pecan" veneer plywood that turned out to be Honduran mahogany. Another fellow bought "cherry" and ended up with marine grade teak. If it is vinyl, what is the downside vs. melamine? Is it easier to scratch?

Reply to
Mark

the vinyl is softer. it will sort of scuff up and try to tear if you scrape at it with a point, where melamine will chip.

Reply to
bridger