Love Letter to Plywood

Steel is king, plywood is the queen.
http://player.vimeo.com/video/44947985
On 3/2/2015 6:20 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Ok I will say that the only thing important in that video is that the Imperial measurement system is far far superior to the metric system. ;~)
On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 10:21:10 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Actually, I learned another thing:
We are not allowed to screw at any angle other than in-line with the center of Mother Earth. I wonder if they laid that wall down prior to attaching the plywood so they could paint it.
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I thought his other video on sweeping was instructive.... who would have known!
https://vimeo.com/44956998
On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 2:02:53 PM UTC-5, John Grossbohlin wrote:

ter

First off, why was there no mention of sizing the broom for the space being swept? As the wise man once said "If you are working too hard, you are pro bably using the wrong tool." (This was said while watching a guy try to put a hole in a concrete floor with a hammer and chisel)
Second: "Each broom stroke should be more effective than the stroke that ca me before it." In other words, eventually you should be able to simply show your broom to the room and the task will be complete.
On 3/2/15 2:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You guys realize these videos are intended to be more art than actual instruction, right?
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

LOL
The video reminded me of something a friend said probably 35 years ago while sweeping up the the repair area in a bicycle shop. "My mother was worried I was going to grow up pushing a broom but I faked her out... I pull it!"

Now, that's funny!
--

-MIKE-

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 3:08:48 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

But wait...that's not what it says at the Tom Sachs' vimeo page:
"These films are required viewing for Tom Sachs' studio. They comprise guides to studio practice and documentation of specific projects and installations."
They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc

On 3/2/15 7:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I can promise you there are easier, less esthetic means of telling his students or whomever the policies in his shop.
Those videos do much more to show off the craft of the videographer and editor than they do of instructing anything. In fact, if were to use them to instruct anybody on anything, it would be film students on film making.
--

-MIKE-

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 9:55:36 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

I can promise you I wasn't being serious.

An interesting way to show off plywood. Thanks for sharing.

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/29/5758542/time-for-the-US-to-use-the-metric-system http://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-US-military-use-the-metric-measurement-of-distance-when-the-U-S-otherwise-measures-distances-in-inches-feet-and-miles http://www.metric4us.com/why.html
'nuff said. `Casper ;)
On 3/2/2015 1:03 PM, Casper wrote:

If we ever get to where we don't know how to deal with fractions, like those on the metric system, ;~) we should go to incha'meter, foota'meter, yarda'meter, and milea'meter.
Much less confusing than centi, mili, deci, kilo, etc. :~)

If not using fractions is so darn important, why are machinists the only ones out there using decimal inches?
Why do they bother with those prefixes anyway? Why not just pronouce the power-of-10? My height is approximately 76 negative-two-meters. (I'm sitting down.) Now, we're to a useful and self-describing but not really "cool" system.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

I was going to say it depends in what form the dimensions are given you, but upon further consideration, I agree with you. :)
On 3/2/2015 7:20 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

A useless production.
--
Jeff

On 3/2/2015 7:20 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

That was pretty odd. But parts of it were filmed a few blocks from where I work. I've been in Chinatown Building Supply any number of times.
On 3/2/2015 10:24 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Made by theater people for theater people.
They live in an alternate universe.

I, for one, found it amusing.
It also brings memories of "Uncle" Leon, who was more like grand-uncle to my father. Uncle Leon once owned a small mill in Coos County, New Hampshire. He loved plywood and had a grandfather clock cabinet made of it, showing the layers. His stated reason for loving it was because he couldn't make it in his mill.
Uncle Leon was a very old man when I met him as a small child, and the mill was long gone. The story, though, keeps him alive in the family.
Elijah ------ remembers, too, skipping stones on the river there