long slots in small wood

I want to make a folding bucksaw, a bit like the one shown in

But that means that I need to cut a slong slot in both the uprights and the crosspiece, to cover the sawblade. I do not own a router or a tablesaw.

Is it possible to do it with a circular saw? Any other suggestions? I've thought of gluing up three pieces of wood, but that feels like cheating.

/Par

Reply to
Par

that looks like an ideal cut for a tablesaw. I'd suggest that you find someone with a tablesaw you could use for the cut.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

If you can get some boards of the same thickness on either side and clamp it all together you should be able to do it.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

You can clamp your tablesaw to a table upside down and set up an independent fence for cutting your slot. You could use a bisquit jointer if you have one.

Or you could go with the 3 bits of wood solution - I would seriously consider it and not think it cheating at all: you'll probably end up with something stronger than 1 single bit of wood with a slot. I cut my hammer handles out of

5-ply (homemade) stock, for instance - they last several times longer. Make it a feature and use different coloured hardwoods :-)

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Peter Huebner :

What type of glue? This thing is bound to get wet regularilly (canoeing and general wilderness travel) and also used in rather cold temperatures (down to -40 C is likely).

/Par

Reply to
Par

Urea-formaldehyde (the clear new Gorilla glue is pretty fantastic) or resorcinol in that case. PVA and aliphatic glue cannot handle getting wet regularly.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

???? I can't find anything about a clear Gorilla glue, and there's no obvious mention of it on their Web site.

FWIW, Weldwood doesn't recommend their urea-formaldehyde glue for uses requiring complete water resistance, for that they recommend resorcinol-formaldehyde.

Some of the modified aliphatics can take quite a lot of water exposure. Titebond III has passed some fairly stringent tests. Wouldn't recommend it over resorcinol though.

Reply to
J. Clarke