Jointer or Planer?

Page 2 of 2

Nope. Can't compare in volume to a lathe. Of course, a DC, even the Monica model can't pull in the curls that fly from roughing green wood. Keep gagging....
George wrote:

As in Lewinsky?
er
--
email not valid

I have both machines in my shop....and I also have two DUST COLLECTORS a small 1 Hp unit dedicated to the planner...(and it fills up pretty fast)....
On the other hand my Jointer is the ONLY Machine in my shop that is not hooked up to either....I simply use a box under ot to catch teh shavings...
I do gat a small amouth opf airborn dust when usong the jointer BUT I have two Air Cleaners that eventually catchs most of that....
Ya Need a DC for t planer...after 40+ years I still see no need to put one on my Jointer...
Bob G.
Pop wrote:

In my opinion it's a no brainer to get a planer. Without a planer, a jointer isn't going to do you much good (you won't be able to get the opposite face of the board parallel with the face you just joined).
I have both tools, and I have found that I use my jointer less and less. Often times, if the boards are only a little bit warped/cupped, the planer does just fine flattening them out. I buy mostly rough cut. If I get a board that's twisted beyound planer flattening (maybe 5%), I save it for cutting into smaller pieces (like 2'-3').

basis in reality yet. I have wondered how "much" cup/warp could be stood, but ... most of the long work I do is such that the internals will pull the longs into shape in one way or another. I've gotten fairly good at getting things to come out assembled square and stay square over the years since my best friend to date has been the table saw, glue and screws/dowels/pins <g>.
Pop
I have read absolutely none of the long list of replies....
But I can tell you I owned a Jointer for years before I purchased a Planer...and I would do it that way again ...
I am retiered been doing serious woodworking for over 40 years and have only owned a Planner for the last 20-25 years ...A jointer found its way into my shop almost from day 100 or 1000.....anyway Years before I Needed a planner...
The jointer does a little more then give you a straight edge...it gives you a flat side also...
If you make the move to buying only rough lumber you will need both and to be honest the savings will pay for the second machine...
Bob G.

Wow, lots of outstanding advice came in, and I thank each and every one of you for giving of your experience and knowledge. As I suspected, there are some excellent reasons to want both; so maybe next year... Anyway, I chose the DeWalt planer over a jointer because it looks like it fits my foreseeable needs best for the next few months to a year. I brought it home, read all the manuals, made copies for the shop, with print large enough to actually read, and set to work setting it up. No idea what it'll be like a month or two from now, but man, I'm extremely pleased with it right now! It's one amazing machine to me, since I've never owned either a jointer or a planer. And yeah, it makes a lot of chips; boy, does it! I jury-rigged a shop-vac to the dust collector shield after the second test board!! Jeez, what a hail of wood they create! Right now I think my only con is the dust collector: It looks really cheap and the fasteners aren't very robust. It's made to clip on or screw on though, so I've only clipped it. Don't think screweing it down is a very wise idea; won't take much of a bump to break the screw channel. Looks like more of an afterthought than a part of the product. I'll probably make my own eventually.
Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it! I've done lengths of 16" to 8' boards with it and no snipe I could see, just a perfect cut! Feels solid as a rock other than the chip chute I mentioned. Now to get the table finished up for it and move it into the shop!
Thanks, all
Pop
--
Life is to be USED,