Jewelry armoire

The armoire is done. Pix at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/
I'm very grateful to all who responded to my inquiry about rattle-can lacquer. After considering the learning curve and all the ways I could screw up a nice project, I decided to go with old faithful -- Minwax satin poly.
Leaving tomorrow for delivery to daughter in NYC.
Larry

Very nice. Does the top open?
On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:49:54 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Thanks. The top flips open and is hinged on the back.
On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:17:51 AM UTC-5, Gramp's shop wrote:
It looks great. You better watch out, those daughters will want more, if you keep up that kind of work and generosity.... and delivery service, too!
Sonny

Quite handsome and I'm sure she will be very pleased. It is something she will treasure as lonf as she lives.
Don't be put off by lacquer, though...it is one if the easiedt finishes - much easier thanpoly - and is very forgiving since it (and shellac) "melt" when additional coats are applied.
It also colors the wood somewhat less than varnish (oil) so is useful if you want to keep things light colored or with less "pop"
dadiOH

There ya go, a big jewelry chest on legs! For the serious jewelry collector! Looks nice. I haven't seen one like that before. I am sure it will be much appreciated.
You do realize, of course, that this is just the beginning. Every woman I ever met, when faced with a new jewelry box, laments the fact that they don't have any where enough jewelry to fill the thing.
Slippery slope, indeed. :-)

--
 GW Ross

 Rotisserie: a ferris wheel for
The armoire looks great! The Minwax product will serve well for years to come and should work out very nicely. Sometimes it is a much better idea to go with what you know. Learning lacquer application on a piece like that would take quite a leap of faith!
Like your other projects, too.
Robert
Thanks, Robert. I kept the rattle cans and plan to make friends with them soon.