Is lumber used in sofa frames treated?

Hi, My dad obsessively collected lumber scraps of 2x4 and larger which is said he found outside a furniture factory. The wood is unfinished however before burning it, I have to ask if the wood used in making of upholstered sofa and chair frames is chemically treated at all? Please help because I have probably 200 pounds of wood piled up and need to decide to dispose of it or move it to my new house and use it as fuel for my wood burning stoves.
Thanks so much! Idas

I've never known of it to be treated. Before you burn it, check to see if the larger pieces are hardwood and of any value to a woodworker. You'd be amazed at what we grab for free. Better it should be turned into something of beauty rather than firewood.
OTOH, if you are talking about contruction grade lumber, enjoy the fire.

An eastern Kansas hardwood dealer/mill used to provide low-grade cherry for an area furniture manufacturer to use in sofa and recliner frames. I bought a little of it. Overall the boards were fairly straight, some knots but the overall color was bad. However, you could pick out areas of pretty nice wood.
Most likely the 2x4's were used under bundles of lumber for easier handling during shipping. There is no telling where that wood may have been setting.

Sounds like that wood has Damitol all over it....:)

It is hard to tell whether your wood has been treated. Furniture designed for indoor use is not constructed with treated lumber. If I were not sure, I probably would not use the wood for indoor fuel.
On 26 Oct 2004 18:04:10 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) wrote:

In my experience, working with my mom in her upholstery shop for decades, no. The good frames are oak or maple (!), raw, unfinished.

Unless it looks like it's got a finish on it, it's raw wood. I can't think of a single couch frame I've ever seen that was finished, unless it was a visible frame.
Dave Hinz