Is lumber used in sofa frames treated?

Hi, My dad obsessively collected lumber scraps of 2x4 and larger which is said he found outside a furniture factory. The wood is unfinished however before burning it, I have to ask if the wood used in making of upholstered sofa and chair frames is chemically treated at all? Please help because I have probably 200 pounds of wood piled up and need to decide to dispose of it or move it to my new house and use it as fuel for my wood burning stoves.

Thanks so much! Idas

Reply to
idaslevato

I've never known of it to be treated. Before you burn it, check to see if the larger pieces are hardwood and of any value to a woodworker. You'd be amazed at what we grab for free. Better it should be turned into something of beauty rather than firewood.

OTOH, if you are talking about contruction grade lumber, enjoy the fire.

Reply to
RE Quick Transit

Reply to
Leon

Sounds like that wood has Damitol all over it....:)

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Reply to
Phisherman

In my experience, working with my mom in her upholstery shop for decades, no. The good frames are oak or maple (!), raw, unfinished.

Unless it looks like it's got a finish on it, it's raw wood. I can't think of a single couch frame I've ever seen that was finished, unless it was a visible frame.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

An eastern Kansas hardwood dealer/mill used to provide low-grade cherry for an area furniture manufacturer to use in sofa and recliner frames. I bought a little of it. Overall the boards were fairly straight, some knots but the overall color was bad. However, you could pick out areas of pretty nice wood.

Reply to
RonB