How to Remove a Splinter

It's my guess most of us have tweezers in the shop. Here's 5 ways to remove a splinter...
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Splinter

Nice one! A keeper. I will print this out and distribute. Thanks for that.

That is good information. I always thought squeezing the splinter out was one way, but I see that it's not.
karmstrn wrote:

If it works for you, do it. Wiki's are user input sites.. really no different than this newsgroups.
--

-MIKE-

It's worked for me. Particularly if it's festered for a day or so.
Otherwise I wipe my pocket knife on my pants to sterilize it and...
--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

one they forgot is to cover the area with a thin layer of white/yellow glue, let dry, then peel off along with the splinter. Similar to the tape method, but if it's a wood splinter the glue can absorb into the wood, aiding the removal

Well, for the regular way with tweezers, the best pair I've ever used came from Lee Valley Tools. They advertise them as the best and they are. Or course, one needs to be able to see the splinter to use them. The methods in the video above don't always require sight to work.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p434&cat=1,190,43034
wrote in message

Somewhere I have a pair of tweezers that have an attached magnifying glass.
Rockler has them: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 108&cookietest=1
wrote in message

Somewhere I have a pair of tweezers.... lol
Upscale wrote:

I've never run across a decent pair of store-bought tweezers in my life, so one day many years ago I took a pair of Revlons out to the shop and honed the tips to a fine point, then yanked a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper through the mating faces while maintaining light gripping pressure until they were perfectly flat. I got them so finely tuned you could pull a splinter out of Tinkerbell's pinky. Once my wife tried them out she was elated, and she made me do the same thing to every pair of tweezers in the house, and since then, she's loaned out my services to practically every female we know. I'm thinking of starting a tweezer honing business. :-)

Try here:
http://www.2spi.com/catalog/tweezers /
I've got a pair so fine, they will actually cut flesh to aid in getting out a splinter. When I was a machinist, those pesky steel slivers (splinters) were devilish to remove. With a mag headset, no splinter is too small.
http://tinyurl.com/qjzqmy
nb

I like the platinum tweezers. At only $588, I'll get 2-3 and place them around the shop.
-Zz

30 years in a machine shop has taught me that the easiest way to remove a metal splinter is with a disk sander. Press the affected area against the spinning disk and remove when it stops sparking. Self-cauterizing, too. ;)
Phisherman wrote:

Here's the type I use.
https://www.shopmedvet.com/product/4330/51
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

If I have trouble finding the splinter, I put a little wood stain on it. No problem seeing it then

I just had this discussion with some pros I know... standard practice seems to be that they pull out what they can with their fingers. If anything remains they let it fester itself out. I've done that with chestnut pod spines quit a number of times as no mater what method I tried I couldn't remove them mechanically.
John