How to avoid electricution in your shop!

Naughty practice in the UK to use yellow - that's reserved for the

110V centre-earth systems we use on construction sites. Our 240V stuff should be blue (standard 230V colour) or high-vis orange.

It's worth buying "Arctic" cable, if you get the choice. This stays flexible at low temperatures, which is worth it in this weather. Most of mine are black though, in heavy-duty rubber for wear resistance. I wouldn't them being a bit more visible.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We have twenty foot ceilings in the shop at work and there are drop down (reels) almost everywhere.

Of course this can get/be a wee bit expensive.

Has anyone told you, outlets every two foot?

Don't Ask Me How I Know This.

Not a prob.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

No, it's earthed at a centre tap.

It's used on "construction" sites. The idea is that 50V is "safe" and with this system you're never more than 50V above earth potential. It's produced by either local generators, or by portable transformers. Increasing rules are making it difficult to use 230V "workshop" tools on a "site". I can see this when the "site" is a muddy field, but it's a bit silly when you're kitchen-fitting and there's already a 240V toaster sitting on the worktop.

The plugs and sockets are round, yellow with plastic sheaths. The corresponding 230V version is blue, but not often seen.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Another consideration to wiring your shop. I recommend having the lights on a separate breaker from everything else. Nothing worse than a tool blowing a fuse and the shop going dark!

Reply to
Antony Sykes