Help needed for newbie: Size of Wood screws

I just bought a compound miter saw (Mastercraft 8.25", 55-6814-8), which looks identical to the one in the following picture:

manual did not spell out what size of wood screws or metal bolts should be used to mount the saw to a wooden or metal work surface. Is this screw size a particularly standardized one? Any suggestion as to what that diameter might be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Curious newbie

Reply to
Curious

FWIW, your link did not work for me, nor do I have a Canadian Postal code.

Don't worry too much about it ... just get a bolt/screw that will fit the hole, and is of the appropriate length to get the job done.

With a bolt, a washer or two - flat washer on one side, lock washer on the nut side - is generally a good idea also.

Reply to
Swingman

Newb - Im curious to know a little more about what experience you've had with power tools first off

Reply to
knowknot

When I mounted my miter saw to my bench, I used the largest diameter bolts that would fit easily through the holes. If I were to guess, I'd say 3/8" carriage bolts, long enough to give about 3/4" to an inch of thread to work with when they came through.

Clint

> The manual did not spell out what size of wood screws or metal bolts > should

Reply to
Clint

Thanks for the info. I'll try 3/8" first. Just wanted to save a couple of trips to Home Depot if I could.

Curious

Reply to
Curious

Before you go to HD, don't you want to ask how long the 3/8" bolts should be?

Reply to
Dhakala

Just a suggestion, but take out your tape measure, and measure the holes. You'll also want to measure the thickness of the countertop, and how much extra you need sticking through the saw pieces.

If it was me, I'd probably suggest trying to standardize (as much as possible) on one size bolt to use for your equipment. 3/8" is a nice number in my garage. Then hike on over to HD, buy boxes of 3/8" bolts in a variety of lengths (say 2", 3", and 4", plus maybe a few in the 1/2" increments), along with several boxes of nuts and washers. Oh, and grab some wing-nuts to fit on there, as well. That way, you'll be able to use the same size wrenches on most of your equipment, and you'll have a bunch of lengths to work with. It's also considerably cheaper to by "by the box" as opposed to bagging up 4 at a time. You might blow $30 up front, but the odds of having to run out to the Borg at an in-opportune time is much reduce. I try not to buy individual pieces of hardware anymore, unless I'm SURE it's a one-time thing.

Clint

Clint

Suggest a few lock washers to round out the collection.

Reply to
Upscale

Please do tell, oh, great supreme [facetious] one, , :-) In all seriousness, your remark is right on yet polite. Yes, I do know how to check using a tape measure. FWIW, seems like at least two manufacturers are using

3/8" diameter for those mount holes: Mastercraft and the one who made Clint's miter saw.
Reply to
Curious

No need for any more than one trip. Measure the holes. Measure the surface you are going to bolt it to.

CW

You can buy bolts? I always thought they came from the maintenance department at work.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

All you can hope for now, is that Lars Ulrich didn't see your post.

Reply to
Robatoy

one that the threaded part will fit through the hole but the head won't....

Reply to
bridger

| I just bought a compound miter saw (Mastercraft 8.25", 55-6814-8),

| The manual did not spell out what size of wood screws or metal | bolts should be used to mount the saw to a wooden or metal work | surface. Is this screw size a particularly standardized one? Any | suggestion as to what that diameter might be would be greatly | appreciated. Thanks Curious newbie

McFeely's has a helpful chart of wood screw dimensions in their catalog.

I've posted a chart with some machine screw (inch only, no metric yet) info at the link below.

Morris Dovey

MEASURE THE FREAKIN' HOLE!!

Reply to
dadiOH

Of course you can buy them, silly...just call the equipment manufacture's parts department. :)

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Of course I did. You are missing my point. It is a user's responsibility to RTFM before using an engineered equipment, but it is also the duty of the manufacturer to produce accurate and complete documentation in the manual, which is, in this case, not only incomplete but also poorly written. Just because I know how to use a tape measure does not release the manufacturer's responsibility of FULLY documenting the product.

Reply to
Curious

Reply to
Curious

manufacturer's

I'm a technical writer. I'll be happy to write you a 200 page manual on how properly fasten down your machine. ~ my services come very cheaply.

Reply to
Upscale