Help needed for newbie: Size of Wood screws

Page 1 of 2

I just bought a compound miter saw (Mastercraft 8.25", 55-6814-8), which looks identical to the one in the following picture:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id 5524443277551&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath%34374303517562&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath%34374303517581&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath%34374303517584&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath08474396669852&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id08474396669852&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id08474396670271&bmUID20776841638
The manual did not spell out what size of wood screws or metal bolts should be used to mount the saw to a wooden or metal work surface. Is this screw size a particularly standardized one? Any suggestion as to what that diameter might be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Curious newbie
"Curious" wrote in message

FWIW, your link did not work for me, nor do I have a Canadian Postal code.
Don't worry too much about it ... just get a bolt/screw that will fit the hole, and is of the appropriate length to get the job done.
With a bolt, a washer or two - flat washer on one side, lock washer on the nut side - is generally a good idea also.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

When I mounted my miter saw to my bench, I used the largest diameter bolts that would fit easily through the holes. If I were to guess, I'd say 3/8" carriage bolts, long enough to give about 3/4" to an inch of thread to work with when they came through.
Clint

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id 5524443277551&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath%34374303517562&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath%34374303517581&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath%34374303517584&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath08474396669852&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id08474396669852&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id08474396670271&bmUID20776841638
Thanks for the info. I'll try 3/8" first. Just wanted to save a couple of trips to Home Depot if I could.

Curious wrote:

Before you go to HD, don't you want to ask how long the 3/8" bolts should be?

Please do tell, oh, great supreme [facetious] one, <with a bow>, :-) In all seriousness, your remark is right on yet polite. Yes, I do know how to check using a tape measure. FWIW, seems like at least two manufacturers are using 3/8" diameter for those mount holes: Mastercraft and the one who made Clint's miter saw.
Just a suggestion, but take out your tape measure, and measure the holes. You'll also want to measure the thickness of the countertop, and how much extra you need sticking through the saw pieces.
If it was me, I'd probably suggest trying to standardize (as much as possible) on one size bolt to use for your equipment. 3/8" is a nice number in my garage. Then hike on over to HD, buy boxes of 3/8" bolts in a variety of lengths (say 2", 3", and 4", plus maybe a few in the 1/2" increments), along with several boxes of nuts and washers. Oh, and grab some wing-nuts to fit on there, as well. That way, you'll be able to use the same size wrenches on most of your equipment, and you'll have a bunch of lengths to work with. It's also considerably cheaper to by "by the box" as opposed to bagging up 4 at a time. You might blow $30 up front, but the odds of having to run out to the Borg at an in-opportune time is much reduce. I try not to buy individual pieces of hardware anymore, unless I'm SURE it's a one-time thing.
Clint

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id 5524443277551&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath%34374303517562&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath%34374303517581&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath%34374303517584&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath08474396669852&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id08474396669852&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id08474396670271&bmUID20776841638

Suggest a few lock washers to round out the collection.

You can buy bolts? I always thought they came from the maintenance department at work.

All you can hope for now, is that Lars Ulrich didn't see your post.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Of course you can buy them, silly...just call the equipment manufacture's parts department. :)
-- dadiOH ____________________________
No need for any more than one trip. Measure the holes. Measure the surface you are going to bolt it to.

Curious wrote:

MEASURE THE FREAKIN' HOLE!!
--
dadiOH
____________________________

Of course I did. You are missing my point. It is a user's responsibility to RTFM before using an engineered equipment, but it is also the duty of the manufacturer to produce accurate and complete documentation in the manual, which is, in this case, not only incomplete but also poorly written. Just because I know how to use a tape measure does not release the manufacturer's responsibility of FULLY documenting the product.

I'm a technical writer. I'll be happy to write you a 200 page manual on how properly fasten down your machine. ~ my services come very cheaply.

the manufacturer of the saw did not manufacture the bench. therefore they have no control over what hardware will be necessary to make the connection. I mean, get real, dude. it's a bottom end chinese miter saw. it's meant to either languish unused in a hobbyist's shop or be consumed as a disposable on jobsites where abuse and/or theft are uncontrollable. you're lucky they even gave you mounting holes.

I have to disagree. The manufacturer of the saw made the mounting holes, and every mounting hole has a fixed diameter. In terms of safety considerations, it would have been a badly engineered product if they hadn't provided mounting holes to fasten the saw on to a workbench. The manufacturer of the saw DID provide the mounting holes, so why not the documentation of the diameter of the hole?
I'm pretty sure that the mechanical engineering team who designed the product has an exact number for the diameter of the mounting holes (or every screw for that matter). The CAD/CAM draftsman or operator would need that number. Somehow, someone along the way thinks that it is not important enough to document it or someone thinks that it is in their best interest not to document it.
If it is just an example of "familiarity (through standardization) breeds contempt", I would accept it as an acceptable explanation to this newbie to the world of carpentry. That is the reason why I asked in my original post whether saw manufacturers have standardized on the diameters of these mounting hole or not.
Sorry I asked this question in a carpentry forum. Perhaps a better forum to ask is a mechanical engineering forum.
Curious wrote: ...

Because anyone w/ an eye could tell the size simply by looking at them, and if not, it would take about 15 seconds (30 at most) to measure them to see...

Actually, this is such a trivial issue it wasn't worth asking to begin with...no one here could see your particular saw and you could have measured them 10-times over in the time it took to post the original message and you could have been to the store, bought the bolts and put them in in the subsequent time wasted... :(